Tom's SP

You show me yours, and I'll show you mine...

Moderator: snoopyjon

Re: Tom's SP

Postby pptom » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:14 am

Also finished the tail lights.
I brought some oem style light connector plugs from the states for about £8 posted, they turned up in about 3 days, putting lots of uk sellers to shame.
http://www.cycleterminal.com/honda-tail ... ector.html
Extended some wires and re-soldered the loom and all is now working as it should, including the indcators.
Just got to find some front indicators for a reasonable amount now.
pptom

Postby pptom » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:23 pm

Bored todày and hit a dead end waiting for parts, so i set the sag even though the fuel tank isn't on, i doubt it will be too far off.
Popped round my mates and picked up some nylon bar, then I made some paddock stand bobbins

Would be better in black, but he didn't have any of that.
Filled 2 hours and cost nowt.
pptom

Postby pptom » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:55 pm

Finally another piece of the puzzle arrived today. The airbox to air filter rubbers turned up from MSP.
Won't be using them again, took 7 weeks and i was expecting them within a few days, very poor communication.
So being impatient, naturally i fitted them tonight, along with the air filters

Of course that then led to the tank being installed which meant finally i could fire it up!
Happy to report its all good, ran up to temp, checked for leaks, checked the fluids etc, fan came on at exactly 104 deg C.
Not long now, just got to dress it up, might put a new battery on for piece of mind. I charged it the other day, but it was struggling to crank the engine today, don't want it to leave me high and dry for the sake of a £45 motobatt.
pptom

Postby graham » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:39 am

Won't be long now. Spot on rebuild!
graham

Postby pptom » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:23 pm

Been an exciting week, putting most of the finishing touches on.
All of the front panels went on with no drama last night, i fitted the motobatt battery and seat today + just back from a 25 mile ride.

As you can see, i'm still waiting for front indicators. The front rh panel is a little marked, but not too bad that it stands out (all panels are now genuine, were chinese before) Tank has been polished and come up lovely.
First trip was to the petrol station in town. Initially the bike felt a bit skittish at town speeds, very keen to turn in, but as soon as i got onto open roads the steering was fantastic, it made perfect sense, i reckon its spot on with the shock spacer and 5mm drop at the front for track riding. Going to try putting the forks back to standard position tomorrow to see if i can find a compromise - it also puts a bit of weight on my wrists with the front lowered.
The bike runs great, bit of an issue when rolling off the power / changing down etc that the revs seem to drop below normal idle speed for a split second, which i put down to an injection / PC issue, not massive, other than that its very, very strong.
I was actually riding home thinking 'i might get an sp2 too' i loved it so much.
Still buzzing!
pptom

Postby pptom » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:25 pm

Oh, need to sort the black stripes on the nose, as this was a replacement nose from honda it just came plain red.
I know a chap who's a vinyl printer, so will get some black sheet from him to use.
pptom

Postby pirks » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:51 pm

You have done a great job there, very impressive :thumbup:
pirks

Postby graham » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:20 pm

What a transformation! ! Nice job.
graham

Postby pptom » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:28 pm

Pretty much put the finishing touches on now.
I got a set of indicators from Tony.mon, I wasn't sure how they fixed until I received them and it turns out the fasten to the black inner fairing.
Unfortunately mine is the only chinese panel left on the bike and one of the previous owners had butchered the mounting points to fit aftermarket indicators

I decided I needed to make some brackets, so starting with a cardboard template, I transferred this onto some 3mm ally plate.
Had to put a kink in it to get the indicators lever, otherwise they were pointing up slightly

They are held in place by one of the fairing fixing screws and when the indicators are fitted they are clamped tight to the inner fairing

Last edited by pptom on Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pptom

Postby pptom » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:34 pm

That done the indicators fit nice.
I had no rubber surrounds, so took the risk and brought 2 aftermarket ones from e.bay for £3 each. They turned up in good time, but looked like they had been trimmed by my dog. the edges were rough, inner and outer, but 10 mins with some sandpaper sorted them out.
Look ok when fitted

Last but not least were the top cowl stripes - I was planning on getting some black vinyl from a contact, but 2 original ones came up on e.bay at about rrp, so I snapped these up instead.
Arrived today and fitted tonight with no drama

No further plans for the future, just ride, enjoy and keep it clean....
pptom

PreviousNext

Return to Readers Bikes