Tom's SP

You show me yours, and I'll show you mine...

Moderator: snoopyjon

Tom's SP

Postby pptom » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:10 pm

Managed to get some pictures uploaded, as you can see, it needs some work (and I think my lense needs a clean):
Chinese fairings, some cracked, gold fasteners, gold clipon brackets, blue cans, rubbish 'undertray' and a shagged rebound adjuster on one fork all need sorting, that's before I've even removed the fairings for a good look around. Had a check in the air box too and there are a pair of green filters in there which are similar in construction to k&n's and aren't screwed down, they'll be changed to standard.

Last edited by pptom on Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pptom

Re: Tom's SP

Postby pptom » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:17 pm

So all in all it needs a good tidy up and refresh. I bagged another complete fork on eBay with a damaged wheel axle bracket, so I can strip that for the rebound adjuster. Think I've got a standard undertray sorted. Pretty sure the exhaust colouring will polish off to just leave shiny silver cans. In the process of getting a pc3 sorted with a generic map.
On the plus side it has a fairly new 520 chain and sprocket set with a 42 tooth rear, starts and runs well although I need to sort some baffles and repack the exhaust.
I'll keep this thread updated when I finally get the chance to make a start, the plan is for a tidy, reliable road bike, not a minter that I'll never ride, although I watched an awesome video last night with headphones in of someone doing a trackday at Laguna seca.............I've been known to change plans!
pptom

Postby pirks » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:46 pm

Bike looks in pretty decent nick.
Be careful watching those vids as they do become quite expensive, don't ask me how I know..
Liking the sign on the inside of your garage door above the bike in the first pic :lol:
Karl.
pirks

Postby zxrob » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:59 pm

That will be fine when its cleaned up

Don't forget to remove the wheel rim tape as well ;)

Rob
zxrob

Postby pptom » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:16 pm

It's on the list! Along with the red anodised footpegs, fortunately I have a mate who's an electroplater,so that should save some money rejuvenating old parts instead of buying new.
It's also got a Hamilton and Palmer immobiliser fitted, which I'm planning on removing, I can just see it playing up and causing problems in the future, plus people nick bikes now by lifting them into the back of vans, so it's pretty irrrelavent.
Itching to get out for a ride pre tear down, the roads don't fill me with confidence at the moment though.
V5 came back in a week from the dvla, it's now insured and sorned.
pptom

Postby zxrob » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:34 pm

I had some problem's with my immobiliser, bike would occasionally cut out on me, fooking scary at times

Couldn't find out what the problem was, went over the bike a thousand times, popped down to see my mate, was just talking about the problem and he suggested the immobiliser, he had a big twin that caused his to play up, took it off, problem resolved

Rob
zxrob

Postby graham » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:31 pm

Friends of mine have had immobiliser issues on sp1 and tl1000s before. All the same conclusion. Big twins don't like em! Looks like a good base to work from. Good luck with the refurb :-)
graham

Postby pptom » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:50 pm

Right, the track nc30 is now finished, so i can make a start on this.
Decided to take it for a little spin this morning to highlight any issues.
First impressions, it pulls like a train, there's nothing wrong with the engine or gearbox.
Handling feels a bit wrong though on the front end, possibly head bearing related. It seems to tip in nice to maybe 10- 20 degrees, then it doesn't want to go over any further, you have to put a bit of effort in, just feels a bit odd in general, this could possibly be because i'm use to the little 400 hondas, or something to do with the roads being cold and crappy making me a bit nervous, but everything will be getting a makeover. Decided to go for some ktech fork springs too.
Got back home and the left can came loose on the way back round to the garage, it fell off the header and was just held on by the strap as the footpeg mounts aren't secured!

Bit of a tidy up in the garage to create some space for parts, then the teardown can begin.
pptom

Postby pirks » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:19 pm

I haven't found another bike that drops into corners like a well sorted 400, no harm in checking the head bearings though.
You were lucky with the can not dropping off
pirks

Postby pptom » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:42 pm

Plastics and tank now off, the rhs lower had melted from the exhaust and the lh lower was broken completely behind the sidestand.

Found this blanking plate which was nice

Unwrapped the immobiliser wiring, looks straightforward to remove

Removed the crappy undertray after taking pics of the wiring for future referance

Then took off the cut standard tray

I'll probably remove the immobiliser tomorrow and loosely put the tank back on to make sure its all ok before proceeding. May even do a trial of the pc3 while i'm at it.
pptom

Next

Return to Readers Bikes