SP1 cooling

Anything else technical related in here...

Moderator: snoopyjon

SP1 cooling

Postby steve p » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:16 pm

Anyone with an SP1 and not happy with the cooling system these are a must to drop the running temperature.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/honda-sp1-rac ... 3f12ca46f1

normally about £400 new so £200 second hand would be ok they really do work (i payed £80 for some damaged ones three years back easily mended). If you couple these with a SPAL pusher fan which reverses the fan direction to push air through the rad instead of sucking it in then they work even better :thumbup: I still have to fit a lower temp fan switch which opperates at 90c ish to bring it all in quicker at standstill. Easy to fit just need to cut down the V cowl at the front. Much cheaper alternative to front mounted rads.
These will not fit an SP2.
steve p

Re: SP1 cooling

Postby N11 EXPRESS » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:08 pm

but they wont help ya in heavy traffic when your leg is just about cooked off the frame :lol:
once ya get moving they would cool her alot quicker alright

ill keep saving for front mounts just for the street cred alone
N11 EXPRESS

Postby turbo_billy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:53 pm

Hope you don`t mind, and not trying to hijack the thread, but (for reasons I won`t go into just yet) what are the thoughts of the collective knowledge on running Firestorm radiators on an SP motor? I know they only have a fan on the one rad but any other issues that anyone can think of? Would they supply enough cooling?
Would appreciate your thoughts on the subject.
Cheers
Tim
turbo_billy

Postby steve p » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:20 pm

i dont think there will ever be a solution to the SP1's cooling that suits all occaisions, i tend to steer clear of congestion and town riding but on the odd occaision that i do get caught out i find the setup i have now keeps the temp between 95-110C at a standstill but very quickly cools to below 75C once i get moving, and it has been documented that the power output is greater on the cooler engine. The standing temp with the new lower temp switch should be even lower once fitted (HOPEFULLY). The cooling issues on the standard SP1 are not a real problem on a healthy bike, however, after my left rad holed and i had it repaired losing two water channels, and the HC pistons were fitted causing more engine heat i decided to pre empt any cooling issues. My left leg is protected by Bacofoil :thumbup:
As for using Firestorm rads i have not considered this, but if it is a workable, cheaper alternative then it can't be bad. SP2 owners are lucky as they can cook both legs evenly ;)
steve p

Postby turbo_billy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:17 pm

steve p wrote:The cooling issues on the standard SP1 are not a real problem on a healthy bike, however, after my left rad holed and i had it repaired losing two water channels, ........As for using Firestorm rads i have not considered this, but if it is a workable, cheaper alternative then it can't be bad.

This is what I am asking as the storm rads look to be slightly smaller than the SPs. Am wondering if they will give sufficient cooling. not looking to replace the standard ones but have some ideas for the future..... ;)
turbo_billy

Postby Jayboy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:02 pm

I had an RSV a while back - got a fecking stone through one of the front mount rads, was interesting having Anti-Freeze shooting all over my front tyre while riding quite "spiritedly" down some twisty back-lanes.
Luckily I saw the guage start creeping up after about 2-3 miles and smelt it, but could have been the end of me.
I would recommend using some tight guage mesh on any front conversions...!
Jayboy

Return to Other