STUCK REAR AXLE

Anything else technical related in here...

Moderator: snoopyjon

STUCK REAR AXLE

Postby GOOSE_SP2 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:01 pm

Hi guys

Need some urgent help! Been trying all weekend to get the rear wheel out the SP, slackend all the chain adjusters off (which wasnt easy and left hand side :? ) and chain is off the sprocket but the axle will not budge...

Anyone out there had a similar problem?
GOOSE_SP2

Re: STUCK REAR AXLE

Postby Sppete » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Odd?? :think:
Blocks of wood and a big hammer normally would be coming out about know in my garage.
Lift the rear wheel slightly to take the weight off it and then give the axle a good twat. It might just need a good shock to get it moving.
...I take it you do mean the axle and not the axle nut?

Pete
Plagiarism- Getting in trouble for what somebody else has done
Sppete

Postby GOOSE_SP2 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:13 pm

Hi Pete

Tried the blocks of wood and large hammer and i did try taking some pressure off the rear wheel but it still doesnt seem to be shifting (i did mean axle mate nut came off sound as). I have to admit i have never taken wheels off myself before but its not rocket science! And its not the first time the wheels have been off the bike plus the wheel turns fine so im sure the axle isnt bent...just realy confused
GOOSE_SP2

Postby Dmac » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:02 pm

Hi there,
Sounds like the axel may be rusted to the spacer it goes through, between the wheel bearings.

Don't really know what to suggest, Bigger hammer maybe :?: A good solid blow from a lump hammer should do the trick, remembering to protect the end of the axel with a thin piece of wood.

Try not to get carried away. If it is not working leave it and come back to it later. When you do get the axel out give it a good talking to :lol: and then a light coat of grease before it goes back in. :thumbup:
Best of luck!
Dmac

Postby marra » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:26 pm

good luck with it, tbh the only way your gonna get it out is by twating it with a hammer! ;)
4 wheels move the body.... 2 wheels move the soul
marra

Postby GOOSE_SP2 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:38 pm

Well boys ive managed to get it 1/4 of way out with the above TWATTING method and copper 'ommer (as we say in Wolvo) but stage two tonight is getting to the spindle with a copper drift as the 'ommer wont reach further than the swing arm. When the bastard comes out its on the wire wheel and put in with some copper slip me thinks! :evil:
GOOSE_SP2

Postby marra » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:55 pm

atleast its moving now, get a thinner bar in there now and continue with the good old twating method! :thumbup:
4 wheels move the body.... 2 wheels move the soul
marra

Postby GOOSE_SP2 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:22 pm

Its out!!! :D Took two of us alot of WD40 on the axle and large copper hammer,also ive lost a lot of skin and nearly a finger (no joke its a bit of a mess :roll:) PLUS ive said some words i havnt used i a while :lol: . Taking it to work tomorrow and get it cleaned up ready for chain and spoks on Sat, dont you just love bikes!!! Thanks for your help as always boys
GOOSE_SP2

Postby tonto sp1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:21 pm

Nice one goose :thumbup: ..who would ave thought that getting an axle out would be such a pain :evil: ...Make sure theres plenty of grease on there when it goes back in.. :D ...
Its Only Real Power When You Can Feel The Pistons Moving Up And Down.......
tonto sp1

Postby Asherz86 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:18 pm

butane or propane lamp could of worked by heating the fucker up :) the heat makes the metal expand and break the seal*ohh err* then once its cooled dwn you would of been sorted :)
Leicester city!!! play offs here we come!!!!!
Asherz86

Next

Return to Other