rad repair

Anything else technical related in here...

Moderator: snoopyjon

rad repair

Postby Oberon Kenobi » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:06 pm

Hi all,

I recently sprung a leak on the dreaded left hand rad, and after some very scary quotes from various people (£270 plus vat to recore ffs), I found this place who are repairing it for £107 all in (vat & delivery etc):

http://www.gmxradiators.co.uk/

I should get it back this week so unless it comes back in a complete mess I'd recomend them.
Oberon Kenobi

Re: rad repair

Postby Sppete » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:43 pm

Good find Oberon :thumbup:
I'll bookmark their page and cross my fingers I won't ever need them :P

Pete
Plagiarism- Getting in trouble for what somebody else has done
Sppete

Postby Oberon Kenobi » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:32 pm

Looks good! Will bung it on tomorrow and stick up some extremely exciting pictures. They've bypassed the bottom row which they warned me about but should make little to no difference to cooling, not in the sunny old UK anyway!
Oberon Kenobi

Postby steve p » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:56 pm

Yep good find, i payed about £100 three years back for a similar mend. The metal and water ways are far too thin to mend properly so they cut sections of the side tanks off then block up the affected way then reweld the sides on. A common problem on the left rad due to a poor mounting bracket design that flexes the lower water ways. You very rarely see left rads on ebay for this reason.
steve p

Postby Jayboy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:34 am

Is there a way to alter the mounting situation to prevent this from happening??
Jayboy

Postby Oberon Kenobi » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:28 pm

Hmmm, I dunno! I guess the best bet would be to shift the bracket to the body of the rad as opposed to under the fins but maybe that would cause irreparable damage if you chuck it up the road. I suppose in theory with the way they are, the brackets should break off before completely destroying the radiator, but I am basically making this theory up. Have mine in front of me now and it kinda makes sense - but HRC must have considered these options!

Here's the rad repair (I've been away fur a fortnight so now have to do all this outside in this lovely December weather, not much fun!!)
Attachments
mobileimage.jpg
mobileimage.jpg (222.18 KiB) Viewed 12385 times
Oberon Kenobi

Postby Sppete » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:10 am

Looks as good as new :thumbup:

Pete
Plagiarism- Getting in trouble for what somebody else has done
Sppete

Postby steve p » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:20 pm

Jayboy wrote:Is there a way to alter the mounting situation to prevent this from happening??

for anyone who hasnt had this happen it may be worth strenthening the mounting point with a bracket of some sort though i haven't really looked at this.
steve p

Postby Jayboy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:32 pm

I've not even had my bike naked yet, so unsure of the rad mounts layout.
Been meaning to find the time and money to do a service and give her a decent once-over.
This weekend I hopefully will be removing the undertray and lights, replacing them with the original set-up. While I'm at it, i will be changing the rear footpegs for some ally hangers I bought and fitting the Microns better - new header clamps etc...
Jayboy

Return to Other