sp1 clutch

Anything else technical related in here...

Moderator: snoopyjon

sp1 clutch

Postby neilninja » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:09 pm

Hi all noob to this forum , I've just purchased an sp1 w reg in colin edwards colours and have come from four cylinders all the way , The clutch on my bike is on it's way out I guess.It doesn't actually slip yet while going through the gears but on pull away , When I first rode it I was riding it carefully obviously and pulling away very gingerly , no problem.When you raise the revs a bit and try and pull away there's a horrible metal on metal type noise and the bike jerks forward and stops again and the bike doesn't launch anywhere.I'm not a mechanic but realise there's something not right.

How much am I looking at for a new clutch please plus fitting if anyone has had it done before ? cheers people.
Blue flame engineering : The Gerald Ratner of the motorcycle world
neilninja

Postby Speedytwin » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:54 pm

Well how do i brake it to ya. You just bought an SP1 and thats how they role. the clutch is a sore point on the SP1 but if you stick with it you do get used to it and it becomes more useable try keeping the revs up and sliding the clutch a bit more. they tend to be a bit jerky and make that grouling noise from the clutch if you try taking off in a hurry while bliping the throttle on take off.

hope this helps and makes some sence to ya.
I am a wepon of masive consumption it's not my fault it's how im programed to function.
Speedytwin

Re: sp1 clutch

Postby hanberg » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:13 am

To me it sounds strange, Ive never experienced any real jerkiness and/or metallic sounds when launching my SP1.
Tried a few other too, and nothing there either.
Id just get it by a mechanic to have a checkup.
hanberg

Re:

Postby neilninja » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:31 am

Speedytwin wrote:Well how do i brake it to ya. You just bought an SP1 and thats how they role. the clutch is a sore point on the SP1 but if you stick with it you do get used to it and it becomes more useable try keeping the revs up and sliding the clutch a bit more. they tend to be a bit jerky and make that grouling noise from the clutch if you try taking off in a hurry while bliping the throttle on take off.

Ah well at least it's put my mind at rest a bit ! am going to the nurburgring on it next month and was going to postpone / cancel it cos I thought the clutch was about to go. :shock:
neilninja

Postby neilninja » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 pm

hanberg wrote:To me it sounds strange, Ive never experienced any real jerkiness and/or metallic sounds when launching my SP1.
Tried a few other too, and nothing there either.
Id just get it by a mechanic to have a checkup.

Same here never had this type of thing on all other bikes , but never had a twin and the pressure on the clutch must be so much more.
neilninja

Re:

Postby neilninja » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:19 pm

Speedytwin wrote:Well how do i brake it to ya. You just bought an SP1 and thats how they role. the clutch is a sore point on the SP1 but if you stick with it you do get used to it and it becomes more useable try keeping the revs up and sliding the clutch a bit more. they tend to be a bit jerky and make that grouling noise from the clutch if you try taking off in a hurry while bliping the throttle on take off.

After thinking over what you've said I will have to try and take a video of it happening , It's not normal and I can't believe that's just the way they are if so honda have made a big cock up really , how are you supposed to wheelie a bike (not that that's what I'm trying to do :lol: ) or pull away quickly with this going on.If it's the case that this is normal then I'll sell it and get something else just wanted to check out the brain power of experienced riders , cheers :D
neilninja

Postby Speedytwin » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:38 pm

Check out this tread with the vid. Does yours jerk like that.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=358&p=2479#p2479

I am a wepon of masive consumption it's not my fault it's how im programed to function.
Speedytwin

Postby neilninja » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:56 pm

Speedytwin wrote:Check out this tread with the vid. Does yours jerk like that.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=358&p=2479#p2479

Yes exactly the same , you the man ! Cos mine has standard cans you can hear the noise more than on that bad boy in the video , but yeah the same sort of jolt forward.I will try holding a steady rev as it says in that thread and give it a go , I'm just off to eat some humble pie :oops:

I'm probably just being too much of a muppet cos the bikes still new.
neilninja

Postby Speedytwin » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:10 pm

Stick with it you will get used to it and learn from it and become a better rider. All inline 4s and piss easy to drive but the SP takes a bit more input to run smooth.
No need for the humble pie. If you don't know just ask. No such thing as a stupid question if you don't know the answer. :thumbup:
Speedytwin

Postby N11 EXPRESS » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:40 pm

never really happens when the bike is up to temp
just dont think your ghostrider coming out from your gaff first thing cause you will end up on your ass lol
N11 EXPRESS

Next

Return to Other