Stiff clutch!

Anything else technical related in here...

Moderator: snoopyjon

Stiff clutch!

Postby paulb » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:54 pm

Hi
I am finding the clutch on my SP very stiff after an hour of spirited country riding (i.e. loads of changes) my left forearm is v soar. The fluid looks a bit dark so I will change that first. Any other ideas or is it something I will just have to get used to?
Also, do I need to take off the faring to bleed the clutch? or can it be done with it on?

Cheers
P.
paulb

Re: Stiff clutch!

Postby wild01 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:50 am

I have this problem, always have a stiff crotch! :lol: :dance: :lol:

:doh:

:whistle:

Sorry, I find if I've not been riding her much the clutch hand can become a bit stiff but it builds up strength the more you ride. Try clutchless up shifts, great for fast road riding and only clutch on the down shifts and in town.

I bled my clutch a few month ago but can't remember if I took the fairing off or not. I think the nipple is accessible without taking it off. Go download the service manual, its spot on for this kind of work and its free.
wild01

Postby Sppete » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:14 am

The Fairing can stay on. Just don't spill any topping up the reservoir any don't let the reservoir run dry. (Granny suck eggs and all that)
Before you start, have you also considered removing the clutch lever and cleaning out all the old graphite grease and replacing it with some new. It can get a bit tired over time. Only other thing I can recommend is to stop using your right hand so often and give the left a go once in a while, ;) build the muscles up more evenly :D

Pete
Plagiarism- Getting in trouble for what somebody else has done
Sppete

Postby paulb » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:29 am

I had a quick look at it last night and I couldnt see the bleed nipple, I'll take a better look tonight.
paulb

Postby spiv » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:38 pm

" It can get a bit tired over time. Only other thing I can recommend is to stop using your right hand so often and give the left a go once in a while, build the muscles up more evenly "
Great advice there Pete :mrgreen:
Blippin' on the downshift !
spiv

Postby steelsey » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:57 am

What fluid do you use in the clutch? Is it DOT4 or is it mineral?
steelsey

Postby big stink » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:53 pm

Dot 4
big stink

Postby steelsey » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:14 pm

Cool so same as the brakes! Noticed a new bike in a shop the other day had red fluid in the clutch res and yellow in the brake!!!
steelsey

Return to Other