Gear Indicator

Anything else technical related in here...

Moderator: snoopyjon

Gear Indicator

Postby Flash » Mon May 23, 2011 12:49 pm

Hello all,
Been followin the general chat, had my SP1 about a year now, 2nd time around Oulton Park on Sat, and it was a blast literally.

Had to put wire wool down the pipes to get through the noise test of 102 d/b.

My question is, i feel i would benefit from a gear indicatior, as i did drop down to soon and locked the back wheel up(as i am used to straight 4'S) on several occasions.

I have seen one on ebay, the guy said they are easy to fit, but at around £130.00 all in, i thought thus was a little pricey.

Is it easy to fit, and where is the best place to buy one from please.

Cheers Flash.
Flash

Re: Gear Indicator

Postby snoopyjon » Mon May 23, 2011 1:49 pm

Hi Flash,

Welcome to the site, I fitted one to my K1 Gixxer I had, and it was indeed a piece of cake to install... I'm pretty sure it only cost me about £50 though, as I got it off ebay (brand new too). Have you checked ebay?

Cheers,

Jon.
V-Twin for the win!!!!
snoopyjon
Site Admin

Postby Flash » Mon May 23, 2011 2:24 pm

Hello snoopyjon,

Yes looked at ebay, the only gear indicator i could find was through Acumen, @ £99.00 + p/p + £22.50 for it in silver.

Any where else i could look?

Chhers B/F
Flash

Postby MartynRossi » Mon May 23, 2011 5:13 pm

Whilst a gear indicator would be nice it's a slipper clutch you really need. V twins are notorious for locking the back wheel on the down shift, so even when you know what gear you are in you could lock it up if you are riding agresively. I used to lock the back wheel on my SV and thats only a 650. My SP2 has a slipper clutch and you feel a little clunk when it works so you can tell when it would have locked the wheel! Mostly this only happens when riding like a total nob :oops: but occasionally (perhaps when traction is poor) you feel it work when you wouldnt have expected it.
Only problem is its going to cost lots more than the gear indicator :(
MartynRossi

Postby tonto sp1 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:00 pm

Hi mate,welcome :thumbup: ....I have a gear indicator on my sp1,it was on when i got it...to be honest if you change down quickly they tend not to keep up and take a short while to catch up..the big twins engine braking is brutal if you,re not used to it :D ..took me ages to get used to mine..
I was given some advice for track riding which helped me...turn tickover up a little ..i run mine at about 1400rpm..and a big blip of throttle to rev match on downshifts..made a big difference... :thumbup:
Its Only Real Power When You Can Feel The Pistons Moving Up And Down.......
tonto sp1

Postby GOOSE_SP2 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:11 pm

I agree with Tonto on the blipping downshift bit then feed the clutch out and use it like a brake...just like Rossi :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: sort of
GOOSE_SP2

Postby Speedytwin » Mon May 23, 2011 9:05 pm

I wouldn't bother mate as said they do tend to need 2-3 seconds to give you the info you require. And by then your already in the corner. Just up the revs a little and blip on down shift. Also use the clutch lever like a brake lever in reverse. Of ya know what I mean.
I am a wepon of masive consumption it's not my fault it's how im programed to function.
Speedytwin

Postby Sppete » Tue May 24, 2011 6:57 am

Also,
don't be too keen and change down too early. This bike is already making maximum torque at six grand, let the revs drop until there abouts on track and you'll be far more stable. Don't try banging down three gears at a time into the bottom horseshoe at pembury :o it can be embarrassing :oops:

Pete :whistle: :whistle:
Plagiarism- Getting in trouble for what somebody else has done
Sppete

Postby Flash » Tue May 24, 2011 10:36 am

Hello All,

Thank you for the input.

Good point about the time delay, and yes i did feel a ---- going into Pembury to hot and had a little broadside.

Slipper clutch sound good, where can i get one from please?

Cheers Flash.
Flash

Postby MartynRossi » Tue May 24, 2011 8:59 pm

My slipper clutch was allready on when i bought the bike, its made by "sigma" Search sigmaperformance.com :thumbup:
MartynRossi

Next

Return to Other