Speedo SP1 same as SP2?

Anything else technical related in here...

Moderator: snoopyjon

Speedo SP1 same as SP2?

Postby MartynRossi » Sun May 22, 2011 8:16 pm

Any of you know if the speedo is the same on the SP1 and SP2?

My speedo says KPH on it but the guy I bought the bike from said it had been converted to MPH, I think it has been done as whilst its very optomistic (have checked it against sat nav) its not as far out as it would be if it was actually displaying KPH, also my front sprocket is 1 tooth smaller than standard so that would account for about 8% inacuracy (if the speedo is driven off the gearbox?).

The manual says you can alter from kph to mph by holding the button down "on some models" but this didnt work on mine so I guess its not that model.

Anyway iv found a speedo for sale thats in mph but its off an SP1 so will it fit mine?

The guy wants £230 for it which seems a lot?

He lists the speedo as for SP1 or Hornet (didnt know they were the same?) Have e-mailed him but he dosnt know if it fits the SP2.

Anyone help?

Thanks Mart
MartynRossi

Re: Speedo SP1 same as SP2?

Postby N11 EXPRESS » Sun May 22, 2011 10:09 pm

did ya hold down the button while the mileage was shown on screen wont change if anything else is displayed
but as ya said only works on some models. i can do it on mine
N11 EXPRESS

Postby MartynRossi » Sun May 22, 2011 10:11 pm

yes did that!
MartynRossi

Postby wild01 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:34 am

Hmm, didn't know that it did that, not that it's any use to me but I'm going to try that when I get in this morning.

I would have thought that the speedo is interchangeable between the two models as they only did a few alterations between the SP1 & 2.

Drop David Silver Spares an email to see how much a new one costs so you can weigh up the odds of going second hand.
wild01

Postby Sppete » Mon May 23, 2011 6:57 am

HI Marty
They are expensive, always have been on all motorcycles.
Have a look at this for a cheaper alternative. You can run any sprockets you like and just recalibrate. If you fit a replacement speedo it'll still read wrong with one tooth less on the front.
http://www.bikersdiscountstore.co.uk/sp ... -pd-18.php
Plagiarism- Getting in trouble for what somebody else has done
Sppete

Postby Screaming Chief » Mon May 23, 2011 2:01 pm

If the speedo isn't showing 94 mph when you are doing 5000 rpm in top gear, then the speedo needs calibrating. 8-)
Screaming Chief

Return to Other