Engine died - no spark

Anything else technical related in here...

Moderator: snoopyjon

Re: Engine died - no spark

Postby cheekykev » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:15 pm

Well done, such a pity it was costly, but at least you got it sorted out, just forget about it, like Pete said get out and enjoy it now :thumbup:
I might well be around North Wales myself on Saturday :thumbup:
Do what you like
Like what you do
cheekykev

Postby Unnerving » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:58 pm

Hi CheekyKev, I'll be with half a dozen others, no need to get excited they ride inline fours mostly, and am planning to pitch up at the Ponderosa at about 3pm for a quick brew. It would be great to meet up with you and praps have a quick natter.
I'll keep a lookout for you just in case. :)
mmmm... warm tarmac...
Dave
Unnerving

Postby cheekykev » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:04 pm

Unnerving wrote:Hi CheekyKev, I'll be with half a dozen others, no need to get excited they ride inline fours mostly, and am planning to pitch up at the Ponderosa at about 3pm for a quick brew. It would be great to meet up with you and praps have a quick natter.
I'll keep a lookout for you just in case. :)

Send me a PM with your phone nbr, I'll see if I can meet up with you on route, look out for a Castrol SP2 :thumbup:
Do what you like
Like what you do
cheekykev

Postby bazza696 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:25 pm

Afternoon Unnervin, I know this issue is closed now but me being the engineer I am, I would ask why did it happen. We had a similar issue on by brothers bike, it turned out it was our fault when fitting replacement coils and HT leads(always check values to book and not believe the supplier they are direct replacements), and the impedance on the coils were lower than the original Suzuki's, thus allowing more current through the ECM and subsequently killing it after 10 minutes.

I know as coils start to break down the impedance increases, but do you know what cooked your ECU?
bazza696

Postby Unnerving » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:20 pm

Hi Bazza,
No clues mate. 'Everything' I've looked at is stock Honda, including the coils. As far as I know there isn't a single aftermarket part on the bike. Well, I'm not counting the Laser cans. Oh, and the tax disc holder. :) But I'm guessing you don't think they've got anything to do with it.
The motor was running real sweet, no stutter, no misfire, no nothing: Then 30 miles into the journey, cruising at 59.5mph (Officer) :) an instant and total dead engine. While I was rolling to a standstill my eyes took in everything around the dash and the bar controls and I thought 'Feck, instant death sounds like an electronic component failure', BLX... :(
Just like when a fuse blows you should find out why it blew before replacing the fuse I searched for clue as to why a component in the control unit blew. Trust me, at £500 a pop, I spent about a fortnight searching all things electrical in the ignition. Seems all good to me. My heart (or was that my wallet?) was in my mouth when I replaced the control unit and first pressed the starter. :D
I'm telling myself that I was just unlucky and that in the normal run of things, electronic components do blow. So if anyone out there knows that you should always check... something... adjust the rear view mirrors, anything when replacing the control unit I really would appreciate hearing from you.
When I make it to the Ponderosa on Saturday I will be one happy bunny...
mmmm... warm tarmac...
Dave
Unnerving

Previous

Return to Other