Cold running problem

Anything else technical related in here...

Moderator: snoopyjon

Cold running problem

Postby madratt65 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:27 pm

Can anyone help?

I've put this under 'Other' as I'm not exactly sure where the problem really lies (I'm no mechanic).

My 2001 SP1 which has done <10,000 miles and has no PC fitted. When ticking over cold, the revs occasionally drop by as much as 500 for a few seconds and then come back. The bigger problem is when you are about to set off. You have to be really gentle and smooth letting the clutch out as you're in danger of the bike stalling :oops: because the revs will drop, or you overcompensate the revs drop by giving it more gas. When this happens and the revs kick back in, the bike tries to act like a bucking bronco and it feels as though you're going to pull a huge out of control wheelie :o .
This all takes place over just a few seconds, but its really unnerving. Once the bike has warmed up and done 5 or 6 miles it settles down and the problem stops. If you have to set off from junctions or lights in those first 6 miles you have to be really careful - and I'm not over-reacting!
A mate of mine says it might be something to do with an air balance screw?

My first SP wasn't fitted with a PC either and I didn't have this issue.

Would appreciate any help or suggestions. I've not taken it to a garage yet, I just wanted some idea of what the problem was first.

Cheers

Mark.
madratt65

Re: Cold running problem

Postby snoopyjon » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:40 am

Ok, tell me to rod off if you like, but the guy that sold me my SP2 nearly five years ago said pretty much the same thing, word for word, and that I should let it warm up for 5-10 minutes before attempting to move anywhere. I found out a few days after getting the bike that it in fact had a choke. He had no idea. I was surprised, being fuel injected, that was the case, but there you have it.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that you aren't using the choke (or fast idle, whatever you want to call it), the only reason I suggest it is because I know it has caught someone out in the past. Not trying to teach you to suck eggs :)

I'm no mechanic either, so if it's not this, I'm not sure. I'm sure however, the 'snatchy clutch' on the SP1 has been discussed on here previously, and that it is possibly standard for SP1's...?

Hopefully if you think I'm talking a load of shite, someone else will be along shortly to help :D

Cheers,

Jon.
V-Twin for the win!!!!
snoopyjon
Site Admin

Postby Sppete » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:46 pm

If it's not the Choke (cause Snoops not talking a pile of shite :shhh: Shh don't tell him that though :whistle: )
You might want to consider removing the power commander. It's just a quick unplug job, nothing too major and it cost nought to try.
I say this because the maps do occasionally get corrupted, or maybe it's never had the correct map on it, or could the pipes have been changed and its the wrong map for that pipe.
If you unplug it and your problem disappears, great! If not you've lost nothing and you can start look at some other stuff like plugs, filters, injector cleaner etc.

Cheers
Pete
Plagiarism- Getting in trouble for what somebody else has done
Sppete

Postby sp1Dave » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:16 pm

The lad I bought my sp off didnt know there was a choke on it either :D
sp1Dave

Postby madratt65 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:59 pm

Cheers for the replies guys.

I always use the choke when starting the SP1 (my fuel injected vfr 800 has one too). Once its sparked up and I've put my helmet and gloves on, the choke gets pushed in completely. I've also set the tickover at 1300 revs as per the manual.

I've tried increasing the tickover but the problem still exists. Mine is not fitted with a power commander.

I'll have to get my local bike garage to take a look at it and hope they know what they're doing :pray: .

Mark.
madratt65

Postby Sppete » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:58 pm

Madratt said
Mine is not fitted with a power commander.

Doh! My Bad. I miss read the initail post and thought it said you has one installed not it has no a PC installed :doh:
Back in me box! :oops:
Bang a couple of new plugs in it first and check the plug caps whilst you are at it. Plugs can make a big difference to these bikes. If no joy let the garage have a look and see what they say.

Pete
Plagiarism- Getting in trouble for what somebody else has done
Sppete

Postby madratt65 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:53 pm

Cheers Pete!
madratt65

Postby sparkysp2 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:36 pm

Try running some injector cleaner in a full tank off fuel had a similar problem on me SP2 where she had been standing around befofore i bought her she is smooth as silk now.I do it now every spring on both bikes and me car.....
Always keep it black side down and shiney side up....
sparkysp2

Postby madratt65 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:53 pm

Cheers sparky, I'll give that a try too.
madratt65

Return to Other