What battery(yuasa)

Anything else technical related in here...

Moderator: snoopyjon

What battery(yuasa)

Postby cheekykev » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:05 pm

Hi, need a bit of advise, what make and model number battery should i be kooking at getting for my SP2, i already have a Firestorm so i know that the big V twins knock hell out of them on start up,
I normaly swear by YUASA but I thought i'd just ask you guys coz you should know what stands the test of time :thumbup:
Do what you like
Like what you do
cheekykev

Re: What battery(yuasa)

Postby Chip » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:05 am

I went with a YTZ7S to save about 4 lbs(if you're worried about such things) and it has never given me a problem starting. Or you could go with a Speedcell or similar Lithum Ferrous battery. They weigh a little under 2 lbs and do not discharge over time
Chip

Postby SubSailor » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:50 am

Just thought I'd share some information with everyone.
I'd been interested in the new technology lithium-ferrous batteries (LiFe) to try and reduce weight on my SP2.

At the time, most were made up of assembled A123 cells. Some worked, some didn't. Particularly on twins.
Finally, a Japanese company (Shorai) took the bit and developed a "made for cycle use" LiFe battery.

I bought one last month, and I must say that I'm impressed with its construction.
The battery case is made of carbon composite, and it is the same width and height as the OEM Yuasa YTZ12S battery, but about 20mm thinner. And, it is 7 lbs lighter than a Yuasa YTZ12S I was using.

The battery comes with various adhesive backed foam pads that can be trimmed to allow snug fitment in the battery box.
I opted for the 18 AH model as these twins can require more starting current during the winter than a four cylinder.
I haven't yet put it into action yet as my bike is still in pieces, but I can't wait to give it a go.

Last edited by SubSailor on Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
SubSailor

Postby spiv » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:59 pm

Hi Subsailor , i'll be looking for a new battery soon .... how much did you pay for the Shorai ? Is it an online purchase or from a shop ?
Cheers , SPIV :thumbup:
Blippin' on the downshift !
spiv

Postby SubSailor » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:07 am

spiv wrote:Hi Subsailor , i'll be looking for a new battery soon .... how much did you pay for the Shorai ? Is it an online purchase or from a shop ?
Cheers , SPIV :thumbup:

It was an online purchase from: http://www.shoraipower.com/
The link to SP1/SP2/RC51 models is here: http://www.shoraipower.com/s-86790-RVT1000R-RC51.aspx
The 18 AH cost me $187 USD plus shipping and handling.
The total for me in the States was $196.80.

I would recommend the 18 AH model for daily use in all weather, or the 12 AH model for fair weather riding.
They are in Japan, and the earthquake and its aftermath have caused periodic shortages.
I would check often to see when they are restocked.
SubSailor

Postby spiv » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:19 am

Thanks for the link Subsailor :thumbup:
Blippin' on the downshift !
spiv

Postby Sppete » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:07 pm

WOW!
Now that's a better alternative. :thumbup: I've never really liked the earlier battery packs. They just reminded me of some cheep hobby muck which someone had made for themselves from radio shack or maplins.
Good find Sub :thumbup:

Pete
Plagiarism- Getting in trouble for what somebody else has done
Sppete

Return to Other