vibrations on the right footrest

Anything else technical related in here...

Moderator: snoopyjon

Re: vibrations on the right footrest

Postby Bobba » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:08 pm

steve p wrote:my footpegs dont vibrate at all! neither do my handle bars :lol:

your engine did before it ate itself :doh:
Bobba

IF IN DOUBT, SKID AND SHOUT!!
Bobba

Postby Bobba » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:12 pm

Another thing Samael could be to change your boots to a more sports touring type?
Race boots tend to have thinner soles so you'll get more "feel" for what the bike doing.

Just another thought, I dont get many so need to make the most of them :thumbup:
Bobba

IF IN DOUBT, SKID AND SHOUT!!
Bobba

Postby Samael » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:31 pm

Hi,

What do you mean exactely by:
your engine did before it ate itself

and

Just another thought, I dont get many so need to make the most of them
?

I have Apinestars smx boots, when I ride more than 30 mins with them, my right foot is getting numb because of vibrations :shock:
Samael

Postby steve p » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:03 pm

what Bobba is trying to say is that i was getting a few vibrations through the right foot peg just before the front exhaust cam snapped and chewed up the complete cylinder head!

But im sure that wont happen to yours.
steve p

Postby Samael » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:09 pm

Hi Steve

What was the cause of the cylinder's problem? the exhaust system?
Samael

Postby Samael » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:42 pm

Screaming Chief wrote:Whenever I feel more than normal vibration duration/strength through the pegs, it's a sign to me that the gaskets need replacing between the exhaust sections, the usual culprit being the one just under the swingarm hole.

The other possible issue is that one of the nuts on the end of the rear cylinder head exhaust studs has worked loose or possibly even the stud itself has worked slightly loose from the cylinder head.Had it happen to me on the front cylinder and the nuts either weld themselves solid onto the stud if you tighten them too much, or vibrate themselves loose if you don't tighten them to exactly the right amount.

Worth checking all those areas for proper nut tightness and that the exhaust gaskets between the sections are still doing their job as they need replacing every 18 months or so on my bike.

Hello and thanks for taking time to help.
I'm a kind of noob in mechanics, I know what are the exhaust gaskets but have no idea of what are the studs you're referring to...
A picture would be a great help for me :D

Thanks!!
Samael

Postby Screaming Chief » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:55 pm

Samael wrote:
Screaming Chief wrote:Whenever I feel more than normal vibration duration/strength through the pegs, it's a sign to me that the gaskets need replacing between the exhaust sections, the usual culprit being the one just under the swingarm hole.

The other possible issue is that one of the nuts on the end of the rear cylinder head exhaust studs has worked loose or possibly even the stud itself has worked slightly loose from the cylinder head.Had it happen to me on the front cylinder and the nuts either weld themselves solid onto the stud if you tighten them too much, or vibrate themselves loose if you don't tighten them to exactly the right amount.

Worth checking all those areas for proper nut tightness and that the exhaust gaskets between the sections are still doing their job as they need replacing every 18 months or so on my bike.

Hello and thanks for taking time to help.
I'm a kind of noob in mechanics, I know what are the exhaust gaskets but have no idea of what are the studs you're referring to...
A picture would be a great help for me :D

Thanks!!

No problem.

The studs are the threaded parts (two on each cylinder) sticking out of the cylinder heads, onto which the exhaust (front and rear) are connected, by means of the flange (circular clamp), that is then held on by two nuts.

You can see the parts I am referring to, if you look above and to the left of the rear shock absorber, or if you remove the black inner fairing v piece to see more of the front cylinder area.

Check out this link for an idea of the shape/length of the parts.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VTR1000 ... 230b5f682a

The slightly fatter threaded end is inserted into the cylinder head all the way until it reaches the end of the fat thread and the other end where you see the nuts in the picture, is where the exhaust flange (circular part) is used to hold the exhaust into the cylinder head and this is held on/tight via the nuts.
Screaming Chief

Postby Samael » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:16 pm

Thanks mate!
I'll have a look at this :)
Samael

Postby steve p » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:09 am

Samael wrote:Hi Steve

What was the cause of the cylinder's problem? the exhaust system?

Oil starvation which at first i thought was restricted to the front head but on closer inspection it appears both heads are affected thus pointing to oil pump issue. Haven't got it stripped down as yet but will report findings. :(
steve p

Postby Samael » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:41 am

Hi folks!

I ve been checking the entire exhaust line and the right silencer (the one that creates vibrations on the footrest) is not between to plastic washers (incomparision to the left one that doesnt)
So next step is to fix this one as the left one and I´ll keep you posted.

Cheers!
Samael

Previous

Return to Other