Fuel tank removal

Anything else technical related in here...

Moderator: snoopyjon

Fuel tank removal

Postby cheekykev » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:00 pm

Hi Guys, could do with some help, not sure where to post this so I’ve put it both in the general chat section and the Tech section.
I’ve got to take the fuel tank and the front cowl off my 2003 SP2 to have some work done,
I’m sure it’s not a difficult task but I haven’t got a manual and only had the bike a few weeks so not too familiar with it.
I thought that this would be a good place to start, so can anyone give me some tips, procedure, do’s and don’ts on carrying out the said tasks, any help would be much appreciated :thumbup: :thumbup:
Do what you like
Like what you do
cheekykev

Re: Fuel tank removal

Postby Dmac » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi Kev,

Check out the manual for the right way to do these, it is easy enough if you follow their instructions.

The Fuel tank.... I removed mine to check the valve clearances on the rear cylinder.

Try and go for a spin to burn the juice in the tank (shouldn't take long) :D This is really important that the tank is nearly empty.

You can drain some fuel from the return pipe before you undo the banjo bolt for the main feed pipe.

You need to do this outside your shed/garage, fuel will spill everywhere no matter how careful you are. :cry: Have loads of rags about to soak up the mess, an empty petrol can and a spare pair of hands woud also be useful.

It is just one of thoes messy jobs. But stay at it and you will be grand :thumbup:
Dmac

Postby snoopyjon » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:45 am

:text-+1: what Dermot said :D It's messy...

Fuel tank is relatively simple if you don't have a steering damper. Two bolts at the front of the tank by the yolk, tank then pivots up, you can then take the hoses off (where you will get covered in fuel - no non-return valve or anything). Then, it's one long bolt at the base of the tank where it's pivoting from, job done.

The cowl is a little more involved if I remember correctly. Dismantling mine after I binned it to put the new one on was a little easier than normal, as there was lots snapped! Going from memory, you will need to do the following (not necessarily in this order):

Mirrors off
Screen off
Disconnect Indicators
Undo Clocks (Can't remember if this was definitely required, I had to change the air intake housing too, so I definitely had to do it).
Side fairing front fasteners removed (at the very least)
Inner cowl out

Then you should be able to get to all the bolts/screws you need to to get the cowl off. I think once all this is undone, it's just the big screw on the front of the nose cone. I think I just had others to do because I had to replace pretty much every bit of plastic on the front of the bike..!

Did they come back with a price to sort then Kev?

Cheers,

Jon.
V-Twin for the win!!!!
snoopyjon
Site Admin

Postby marcwilson1972 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:13 pm

Hi all

Just had mine off to do the valve checks etc. All easy (ish) apart from the tank. What a pain! Getting it off is not to bad but refitting the banjo was not easy. I was thinking of some sort of quick release coupling. But need to be a little careful as I believe the fuel pump runs at around 50psi. Found some fittings on demon bikes but bit pricy.
So if anyone has any ideas????
Just find it so un-Honda.
You dont know till you've tried it!
marcwilson1972

Postby Sppete » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:38 am

I've never fully removed mine. I've always managed to just wedge the tank up so far.
So, can't you just clamp the fuel hose with grips or a small G-clamp and disconnect from the other end or isn't there room to reach the other end? :?

Pete
Plagiarism- Getting in trouble for what somebody else has done
Sppete

Postby Dmac » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:42 pm

Pete, the other end of the petrol feed pipe is buried under the airbox, could be worth looking into though. :ugeek:

I think the key is to use the return pipe to drain as much fuel as possible.
This should leave the fuel level just below the banjo bolt, so not as much flows out all over you and the bike.
you will be glad you did this as you struggle with a banjo bolt that is half way out while holding the tank up with your head because you knocked the tank support while trying to get the banjo bolt out :lol:

A bit of a pain, but do-able once you are prepared for it, and have the right shaped head. :thumbup:
Dmac

Postby Sppete » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:03 pm

Cheerz m Dear.
I'll have a look the next time I've got to go that far. I do know you can get the airbox out with the tank in place so it might be possible.

Oh, and I've been after a short women with a flat head for ages but I wasn't thinking of using her to prop the tank up :twisted:

Pete
Plagiarism- Getting in trouble for what somebody else has done
Sppete

Return to Other