Rear Seat Fairing scratches

Anything else technical related in here...

Moderator: snoopyjon

Rear Seat Fairing scratches

Postby Greg » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:31 am

Hi

I had a red & black SP1 in original colours.

Unfortunately the previous owner used to take pillion passenger quite a lot and I really don't think Honda planned for this bike to take passengers often. The black paintwork underneath the edges of the seat has become worn away and the red paintwork underneath now shows through. The pillion passengers legs or jeans or whatever have also made very light (but noticeable) marks on the black parts of the fairing. Not sure whether the black parts of the rear seat fairing are a decal or not but either way, it's not very hard wearing at all. Marks very easily it seems.

How can I go about sorting this out? Can't afford a new one as theyre about £250! I definetely want it fixed as it's the only thing (apart from the corrosion on swingarm) that makes my bike look second hand.

Thanks in advance

Greg
Greg

Re: Rear Seat Fairing scratches

Postby big stink » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:01 am

Difficult that one mate. Honda did supply some protective clear tape for the passenger seat as it does wear through in time. To be honest there is no easy fix other than getting it repainted although its probably going to be expensive. They dont come up on ebay very often and the ones that do are normally cracked/ scratched etc. So sorry bud , i dont think its an easy fix.
big stink

Postby David451 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:36 pm

big stink wrote:Difficult that one mate. Honda did supply some protective clear tape for the passenger seat as it does wear through in time. To be honest there is no easy fix other than getting it repainted although its probably going to be expensive. They dont come up on ebay very often and the ones that do are normally cracked/ scratched etc. So sorry bud , i dont think its an easy fix.

I have some paintwork to do on mine as well and a dent in the tank, the red is easy enough to match but I heard on here that the black is a decal. However if you shoot off to a paint supplier that does the paint for cars etc, then they have a spectograph which can match the black and mix you a couple of rattle cans.
David451

Postby big stink » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:28 pm

The red aint easy to match as its a 3 stage process. The satin black isnt a decal either, its paint.
big stink

Postby David451 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:39 pm

big stink wrote:The red aint easy to match as its a 3 stage process. The satin black isnt a decal either, its paint.

Well lets rephrase that the red has a paint code the black aint, and if it has could I have it please.

In terms of a three stage process, I dont know, I'm doing a 74 cb750 in flake and its a three stage, which is silver, then the flake gold then clear. Why it would be a three stage for a flat paint I dont know, perhaps you could tell us.

If you have the paint codes then I don't see how an automotive paint supplier cant mix a rattle can in acrilic for you, one stage, not including primer if needed to fill the scratches. A plastic primer would not be required unless you strip most of the panel back to the bare plastic.

If you just go and get a mix made up from the paint code it wont match due to fading, thats why you use the spectograph, and although its not perfect its fairly close. If painting a panel I normally blow in the edges of the panel opposite and clear over both, that way you dont get the miss match, its there but you cant see it. so worth keeping that in mind when touching up.
David451

Postby Greg » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:58 pm

RSBikepaint.com was good for telling me what it is but it only has one kind of black for the bike and my belief is there are two. The black on the rear seat fairing is different from the rest in my eyes. It doesn't appear to be laquered over or if at all, not that much. Hence why it has seemingly marked quite easily.

hmmmm.....
Greg

Postby big stink » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:24 pm

The red is three stage , i think its coloured primer first, then yellow then its red but its difficult to get it right. You can end up with the wrong tint if one too many layers of red are applied. You maybe be able to get an aerosol mixed up but it wont be the same from the factory.
big stink

Postby David451 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:52 pm

big stink wrote:The red is three stage , i think its coloured primer first, then yellow then its red but its difficult to get it right. You can end up with the wrong tint if one too many layers of red are applied. You maybe be able to get an aerosol mixed up but it wont be the same from the factory.

Thats how the old cb750 is, each pass over makes it darker so its a bastid to get right, paint lays on edges different from the flats so I fokin hate doing it.

In relation to the flat red I'm going to do mine in base coat and blow it over with clear, "I usually use fast build grey primer". The only other primer I use is white for white since the grey can shine through and throw it off a bit.

I tried a touch of plain black I have from a Merc I did recently to see how it would match and to be honest if two bikes stood side by side would you see the difference, "I doubt it" and lets be honest with ourselves here, the bikes are 10 years old and unless you had a spanking new one to compare it then all the current ones are all in some stage of fade and shade.

Its my tank thats getting repaired though and from what I can see its in gloss. I would imagine if you wanted to you could dust it with clear and it would look satin.
David451

Return to Other