New Levers

Want a Mod? Done a Mod? Post in here!

Moderator: snoopyjon

New Levers

Postby snoopyjon » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:24 am

Well, it's one mod that I've wanted to do for a couple of years now, but there always seems to be something more important that I need to buy, but I finally got round to ordering my new levers last week...! Ordered on Thursday on eBay from a Malaysian company, up to a month delivery estimate, and they came on Tuesday!! Bent my clutch lever all out of shape when I binned the bike a couple of years ago, and it's just bugged me ever since. I'd straightened the lever as best I could, but I reckon the fact that it was so bent, I'd have not been happy with it even if I got it back to exactly the same correct shape...

Anyway, here they are, took five minutes to fit too which is brilliant for me! :D

photo 1.JPG
ClutchLever
photo 1.JPG (983.14 KiB) Viewed 12106 times

photo 2.JPG
BrakeLever
photo 2.JPG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 12106 times

Just want to get out and try them out now! :D :D
V-Twin for the win!!!!
snoopyjon
Site Admin

Re: New Levers

Postby Dmac » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:45 pm

They look well trick Jon :thumbup:

The front brake lever just needs to be long enough for two fingers max :D
Dmac

Postby CHALKIE » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:53 pm

What make are they?

snoopyjon wrote: Malaysian company

Ohh Ekk.
Who needs a 16k redline?
CHALKIE

Postby snoopyjon » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:16 am

:lol: It is the first time I've purchased anything for the bike from over there, I was VERY dubious if I'm honest, but they seem really good quality. I saw them in Alton on SparkySP2's machine, and he recommended them. Had I not seen them in the flesh, and not had the recommendation, I would never have bought them. But, unfortunately I don't have a very big budget at the moment, and £130 for Titax levers, or £38 for 'replicas', I'm going to save myself £92 every time. Plus, I only got £50 for my birthday :lol:

Maybe one day if I win the lottery, I'll replace with Titax :D
V-Twin for the win!!!!
snoopyjon
Site Admin

Postby steve p » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:36 am

nowt wrong with the cheapo Chinese levers! ive had 12 sets now :thumbup:

:lol: :lol: actually had them for 2 years with no issue.
steve p

Postby Sppete » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:32 pm

They look good Jon. I wouldn't have know they were a cheep copy if you hadn't said so :thumbup:
Got to ask though, what's the little wing on you throttle for? is it some kind of grip aide? and if so, does it work?

Pete
Plagiarism- Getting in trouble for what somebody else has done
Sppete

Postby snoopyjon » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:40 pm

Hi Pete,

It's called a throttle rocker, I got it off eBay years ago. I get a lot of pins and needles in my hands, left one isn't too bad as I can take it off the grip every now and then and flex my fingers a bit, obviously not as easy to do with the throttle hand... This just sits on the right hand part of my hand, so I can release my grip and flex my fingers, and it's really nice on motorway stints as I can just sit there with my hand resting on the grip no problem.

I take it off for track days though :D

It did take a bit of getting used to, but I've had it on my last two bikes and can ride without any problem gripping normally if I'm getting a shift on, and it doesn't get in the way. Early days though I did find until I got the position right, I was still occasionally keeping some throttle on by accident when slowing or stopping...

For less than a fiver, it's one of my better purchases :D

Cheers,

Jon.
V-Twin for the win!!!!
snoopyjon
Site Admin

Postby Sppete » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:39 am

Cool.
Cheers Jon :thumbup:
Plagiarism- Getting in trouble for what somebody else has done
Sppete

Postby David451 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:22 pm

snoopyjon wrote:Hi Pete,

It's called a throttle rocker, I got it off eBay years ago. I get a lot of pins and needles in my hands, left one isn't too bad as I can take it off the grip every now and then and flex my fingers a bit, obviously not as easy to do with the throttle hand... This just sits on the right hand part of my hand, so I can release my grip and flex my fingers, and it's really nice on motorway stints as I can just sit there with my hand resting on the grip no problem.

I take it off for track days though :D

It did take a bit of getting used to, but I've had it on my last two bikes and can ride without any problem gripping normally if I'm getting a shift on, and it doesn't get in the way. Early days though I did find until I got the position right, I was still occasionally keeping some throttle on by accident when slowing or stopping...

For less than a fiver, it's one of my better purchases :D

Cheers,

Jon.

I have heard of a few nasties with those things, they are ok if you have thinking time, but when the shit happens or you are a bit tired you don't get the throttle off, panic and pull the clutch, loads of revs and unstable bike, confused again clutch back out, on your arse!!!

Lets face it the last thing you want to be thinking about as your fingers go for that front brake is getting the throttle off, hate them and should be banned.

I have been caught out a few times in my car with the cruise control, just tired or overloaded with information but in my case the brake gets it off.
David451

Postby snoopyjon » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:33 am

I hear what you're saying, but having it in a good position has meant I haven't had any un-necessary revs when slowing for a few years now... Even when I planted the bike into the back of a Renault Clio in France the throttle snapped shut when I braked and didn't carry any revs. I was tired then, I had just ridden 300+ miles over about 7 hours, and had no thinking time at all, but because of the positioning, it didn't get in the way at all.

As I said, if the position is wrong, then I would have to agree with you, and you then have to be very careful, but I've been using it for seven years or so now, and can 'feel' if it is too far round before I even set off...
V-Twin for the win!!!!
snoopyjon
Site Admin

Return to Modifications