R&G Bungs # 2 (REMOVAL Q)

Want a Mod? Done a Mod? Post in here!

Moderator: snoopyjon

R&G Bungs # 2 (REMOVAL Q)

Postby Jayboy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:59 am

Guys, I wanted to take the fairings off this weekend to give her a clean and check and lube up, BUT, my Left hand R&G prevented this.
It appears that the bolt for the Bung had mated itself inside what I believe to be an engine-bolt replacement, which the bung bolts into. I got one side off, but the other side won't come out. The fitting is rotating with it which wants to push the fairing out as it comes un-done.
There appears to be 2 "flats" machined into it which you MIGHT just be able to get an open-ended spanner on to, but it's bigger than the biggest I have (other than a 32mm!) which is 19mm.
Anyone know if this would work and what size spanner I would need to get hold of?

Cheers, Jay.
Jayboy

Re: R&G Bungs # 2 (REMOVAL Q)

Postby Strappy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:52 pm

I don't have the bungs to compare with but could you get a big adjustable spanner on to it?
Tough on mime, tough on the causes of mime.
Strappy

Postby Jayboy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:30 pm

I think it will be tight as I will have to come down through the radiator aperture, the head is kind of hidden by the foam on the back ot the fairing.
I may have to resort to this. Strange the garage didn;t sort this out when they changed my front sprocket...
Jayboy

Postby Jayboy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:52 pm

I got this back from R&G today - swift response I must say.

"Hi Jay
The flats are 20mm apart on the extension bar. If you are looking at taking the engine bar out from the frame be very careful as the bar can get cold wielded to the engine block and become very hard to remove. "

I guess I will be buying a 20mm spanner to have a go with at the weekend...!
Jayboy

Postby turbo_billy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:04 pm

Jayboy wrote:Strange the garage didn;t sort this out when they changed my front sprocket...

I`d be checking that "new" front sprocket while I was in there....... ;)
turbo_billy

Postby Jayboy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:34 am

I watched him do it from over the workshop, but the other side of the bike, thinnk they undid the fairing enough to slip it out.
He did mention something about the bung, i thought he had said there was a nyloc behind it, but must have said there's normally a nyloc on other bikes.
I supplied the sprocket, so I know that's good.
Anyway, I will sort it out, just ordered a 20mm spanner to have a crack on it at the weekend. Dunno why they couldn;t be arsed to do this at the time though.... :evil:
Jayboy

Postby Jayboy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:35 pm

SORTED.

Got an adjustable in there to hold the adaptor and got the bolt undone - fairings now removed.

Just need to wait to do the servicing until next weekend.
Jayboy

Postby Sppete » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:49 am

Well done Jay! :thumbup:
Plagiarism- Getting in trouble for what somebody else has done
Sppete

Postby Jayboy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:19 pm

Cheers. Was a relief to get it off OK, I must say - also, although the bolt was seized into it, the adaptor was a couple of turns out.
Jayboy

Return to Modifications