high flow snorkel

Want a Mod? Done a Mod? Post in here!

Moderator: snoopyjon

high flow snorkel

Postby steve p » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:44 am

i managed to procure a MKI turnone carbon high volume air intake snorkel for my SP1 to complement the air box and engine work allready done. Cost £65 but damaged in a spill so i fixed it with some carbon tape and resin so as food as new :thumbup: fitted it yesterday and went pretty well but things get bloody tight in the cockpit area when you start messing about :lol: main problem now is the clutch lever fouling the repositioned clocks near full lock. Il be changing both masters for radials later but its going to be a PITA finding room for the new reservoirs. I fitted clipons last year and that seemed far from straight forward as the turning circles of the gear mounted on them can easily foul the fairing stay etc. if not just right. Take pleanty of photos and measurements before you tackle it ;)
Next step will be a trip up to Cumbria to have it re mapped early next year to account for the snorkel and new exhaust!
steve p

Re: high flow snorkel

Postby snoopyjon » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:44 am

:lol: I thought you were going to take your SP wading!!! I have a snorkle on my Landrover for that :D

Is it the same size intake at the front of the bike? If so, how does the high flow one work?
V-Twin for the win!!!!
snoopyjon
Site Admin

Re: high flow snorkel

Postby steve p » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:40 am

thats a bloody good question Jon to which i havn't got the answer or at least know the answer for sure :lol: i can only imagine that as it is bigger all round that it more efficiently funnels the air through the headstock. But after all the fairing hole at the front is the same size as well. The stock snorkel even with the flapper removed does narrow down quickly, this new one is wider and deeper top to bottom. They were originally designed by Thorsten Durbhan i believe who has done some amazing work on the RC51 and other bikes. If you havn't seen the site its worth a look.Link below :thumbup:

http://www.honda-rc51.de/
steve p

Return to Modifications