Steering Dampener YES/NO?

Want a Mod? Done a Mod? Post in here!

Moderator: snoopyjon

Steering Dampener YES/NO?

Postby wild01 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:13 am

Hi guys, who of you have fitted steering dampeners to you bike?

I've ridden mine for 6 years without and although I've had some all mighty tank slappers I've always managed to stay on. I kind of know when she's going to sit up and shake her head and I kind of love the rush you get when she does sit up and gives the wild bronco, head shake she gives off when hard on the gas. Not that its all the time but when your on it hard it does have a tendency to want to buck a bit.

Personally, I feel its made me a smoother rider and I'm more relaxed when gripping the bars? I know not to shut off, to keep the throttle open and let it settle itself. Maybe I'm stupid for not getting one fitted? I don't know? Never ridden a bike with one.

Whats your thoughts lads?
wild01

Re: Steering Dampener YES/NO?

Postby marra » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:05 am

aint got one fitted on the SP matey, like you said in another post, she rides excellent as is :thumbup: im sure someone will be along to praise having one fitted tho ;)
4 wheels move the body.... 2 wheels move the soul
marra

Postby Speedytwin » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:01 am

And here he is. Lol.
Iv ridin both with and with out and I have one fitted now on the sp1. They do shake there head like a women on the rag but there are controllable to a cretin extent. But after fitting one and ridding the same route I found I could ride a lot harder in to the corners and a lot faster around them. They don't have to be turner up to be really hard to turn at slow speeds but they do make a very worth while difference.
I am a wepon of masive consumption it's not my fault it's how im programed to function.
Speedytwin

Postby N11 EXPRESS » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:31 am

:shock: :shock: you guys have been riding sps without dampers :shock: :shock:
yous obviously dont ride em hard
N11 EXPRESS

Postby marra » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:29 pm

N11 EXPRESS wrote::shock: :shock: you guys have been riding sps without dampers :shock: :shock:

yeh you must be right, i must ride like a reet pussy :roll:
4 wheels move the body.... 2 wheels move the soul
marra

Postby Dmac » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:50 pm

My SP2 had one when I got it, I took it off though.

Yes they can get slappy, but hey it's part of the experience.
I have found previously that they can upset the handling, holding a line in a corner and changing line mid corner can feel like the bike has notchy steering head bearings, even when set to the lowest setting.

The damper on the SP2 may go back on, but for now I am happy enough leaving it off.
Dmac

Postby wild01 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:02 pm

N11 EXPRESS wrote::shock: :shock: you guys have been riding sps without dampers :shock: :shock:

LOL :lol: No, I'm just feckin hard! :dance:
wild01

Postby Strappy » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:47 pm

I'm just a complete fanny :oops:

Had a 'blade with the integral damper a couple of years ago, only felt that working once so it's unlikely that I'll need one. I find that eating more pies helps slow things down enough to prevent head shakes too. :)
Tough on mime, tough on the causes of mime.
Strappy

Postby N11 EXPRESS » Mon May 02, 2011 11:09 am

i can tell yas now i went out twice with damper off and on both occasions i got severe tank slappers
i mean nearly looseing it slappers same as in vid below
as far as i can see you guys are talking bout a slight head shake which happens to me all the time coming out of bends even with damper fully on
so please dont tell me yous have experienced slappers like this in the vid and yis still turn around and say ya dont need a damper :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvHtChodNk0
N11 EXPRESS

Postby chippie » Mon May 02, 2011 1:01 pm

We all ride bikes for different reasons but for me i ride for the adrenaline rush and the thrill,i have ridden newer bikes with abs/traction control and steering dampers and they all start to feel too clinical and remote.
I also find that once in a while i need a shake to remind me to respect the bike and to calm down my riding.
Many years ago i had a RC30 and that bike never ever got out of shape/slid or shook and i knew if it ever did let go i would be a gonna cos it would be at such a high speed.
There will be no right or wrong to fit a steering damper it will be down to the owners expectations of their bike.
chippie

Next

Return to Modifications