Steering Dampener YES/NO?

Want a Mod? Done a Mod? Post in here!

Moderator: snoopyjon

Re: Steering Dampener YES/NO?

Postby wild01 » Thu May 12, 2011 1:39 pm

Bahh, your all soft! Barry Sheene never had a steering damper! :lol: :lol: :lol:
wild01

Postby Darren Elms » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:33 am

N11 EXPRESS wrote::shock: :shock: you guys have been riding sps without dampers :shock: :shock:
yous obviously dont ride em hard

Maybe we have them set up properly.Have had a couple of slappers,only due to poor road conditions.It always lets you know that your just along for the ride and settles down to be the angry snortin beast we love them for being. The geometry of the SP'S is race bred,why fuk with perfection :thumbup:
Darren Elms

Postby SubSailor » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:27 am

Mine was equipped with a Scotts/Ohlins rotary damper when I bought mine.
The great thing about it is it's similarity to a 3-way adjustable shock.
It has low-speed and high-speed adjusters, plus the sweep controls.
Therefore, you can adjust the low-speed control to provide enough damping for typical riding without being intrusive, but have the high-speed control catch the bike when the head wants to wag.
Plus with the sweep control, you can decide at what amount of steering head angle you want damping control to take place.
Quite a sophisticated unit for it's size.
SubSailor

Postby GOOSE_SP2 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:36 pm

Just to updat this i now have an Ohlins damper which should be fitted over the coming months so il let you know if it makes any difference or not...if you dont get an update the SP spat me in a hedge so dont waste your money :lol: :lol: :lol:
GOOSE_SP2

Postby steve p » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:51 pm

deffinately fit one but dont wind it too stiff. You will probably only need it a quater in from fully off. The tendancy is to over damp and lose quickness to turn in whilst thinking this will stop a tank slapper. In real life the tank slapper oscillations are so much quicker than anything you could do yourself that the damping needed is minimal. It really does smooth out the front end twitches from pot holes etc.
steve p

Postby GOOSE_SP2 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:49 pm

Thanks for the advice Steve, the damper and harris bracket landed today and its in great condition so as soon as i can il get it fitted :D
GOOSE_SP2

Previous

Return to Modifications