K & N Air Filter and Power Commnader

Want a Mod? Done a Mod? Post in here!

Moderator: snoopyjon

K & N Air Filter and Power Commnader

Postby 100bore » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:15 pm

Hello all,

As they seen to be fairly universal modifications, I'd be interested to hear peoples opinions regarding the fitting of K & N air filters and/or power commander.

My recently purchased 2002 SP2 is running standard exhausts and has,I believe had the flapper valve removed.

Thanks

I
100bore

Re: K & N Air Filter and Power Commnader

Postby tonto sp1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:23 pm

I have both k+n and pc3...cant say i,ve noticed a difference with the filters.....but the pc3 made a big difference to the rideability of the bike :thumbup: ..not a big power gain but smooths out the snatchy throttle and get a few more mpg as well :thumbup: ..another cheaper mod to consider would be -1 tooth front sprocket from 16tooth to 15tooth, has a similar effect to p/c...sp,s have a really over tall first gear and the sprocket mod makes the bike more responsive :thumbup: ...but be aware the sprocket mod will slightly alter speedo readings :? ...
Its Only Real Power When You Can Feel The Pistons Moving Up And Down.......
tonto sp1

Postby Dmac » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Hey there,

I had the filters, pipes and PC3 on my SP2, They were on it when I got it. I put it back to standard and sold the goodies.

To be honest they wern't my thing anyway, but I don't notice much diference apart from the soundtrack :!:
These things are fairly quick to begin with, for road riding I don't miss them.
The SP1 has different injectors and throttle bodies so it is a different set up. I think they are more benifical on the SP1. :geek:
If it was me, I would I would consider the sprocket change Tonto mentioned and spend the money saved on petrol and Jameson. :D
Dmac

Postby Stars and Stripes » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:50 pm

Hi I agree with goose, I have P.C and K&Ns also with the gearing change, I also have a quarter turn throttle (makes it interesting) all the mods work together well
Paul
My licence says "Tear down the dotted line" so "I DO"
Stars and Stripes

Postby 100bore » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:53 pm

Thanks for the replies. :thumbup:

I will definitely think about the gearing mod. I agree that 1st gear seems very tall. I might try 3 extra teeth on the rear, rather than 1 less on the front, as I'm led to believe that this will wear the chain less. :geek:

Anyway, thanks again.

I

PS: Stars and Stripes, where did you get your quarter turn thottle?
100bore

Postby Dmac » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:52 pm

You are right about the smaller sprockets wearing faster, they also wear the chain more as the links have to run the tighter radius of the smaller sprocket. :thumbup:

I haven't tried this but will your chain be long enough to go around the 3 tooth extra rear sprocket?
Dmac

Postby 100bore » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:10 pm

I haven't tried this but will your chain be long enough to go around the 3 tooth extra rear sprocket?

You could be right Dmac. Better try the smaller front sprocket, methinks. :idea:

Ta

I
100bore

Postby Stars and Stripes » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:33 pm

100bore wrote:Thanks for the replies. :thumbup:

I will definitely think about the gearing mod. I agree that 1st gear seems very tall. I might try 3 extra teeth on the rear, rather than 1 less on the front, as I'm led to believe that this will wear the chain less. :geek:

Anyway, thanks again.

I

PS: Stars and Stripes, where did you get your quarter turn thottle?

It was fitted to the bike when I bought it plus loads of other mods!!!!!
My licence says "Tear down the dotted line" so "I DO"
Stars and Stripes

Postby Strappy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:00 pm

100bore wrote:

You could be right Dmac. Better try the smaller front sprocket, methinks. :idea:

Ta

I

Or go -1/+2 and stick a 190/55 tyre on the rear :whistle:
Tough on mime, tough on the causes of mime.
Strappy

Postby 100bore » Sun May 08, 2011 8:19 pm

Well, in the end I didn't bother with K&N's but, have fitted a PCIIIusb (loaded with the European stock map) - smoother power delivery and better mpg - and 15t front sprocket. :thumbup:

The smaller sprocket makes an immediate noticable difference. By my calculations, I think my speedo now over reads by around 7%. Is this other peoples' experience?
100bore

Next

Return to Modifications