dry break fuel lines?

Want a Mod? Done a Mod? Post in here!

Moderator: snoopyjon

dry break fuel lines?

Postby v4forlife » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:33 pm

So after pissing petrol all over the place, I was wondering what people here do to get around the whole removing the tank thing...why didnt Honda fit some sort of valve?
v4forlife

Re: dry break fuel lines?

Postby turbo_billy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:08 pm

Wil, get yourself a couple of quick fit connectors, one for the feed line and one for the return. Like these.........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290475913098? ... 1423.l2649

Cheers

Tim :thumbup:
turbo_billy

Postby snoopyjon » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:30 am

I tried syphoning as much fuel as I could out of the tank before removing, but still pissed fuel all over the towel I stuffed down below the lines...

Those couplers look like a really good idea, just wondering if there is room for them as it's pretty tight under the tank...
V-Twin for the win!!!!
snoopyjon
Site Admin

Postby turbo_billy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:00 pm

Got them fitted on the Legends project and they fit under the tank just fine, with enough length on the fuel lines to be able to lift the tank enough to get the connectors apart. :thumbup:
turbo_billy

Postby marcwilson1972 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:15 pm

I am sure this is some thing I discussed a while back?

The ones shown above?? are they OK for the fuel pressure? because if I am correct the fuel pump is in the tank and there for the connectors will be under pressure. 150psi seems to come to mind. I am open to be corrected on this mind you..
You dont know till you've tried it!
marcwilson1972

Postby Neil McClure » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:26 pm

Yes thats why it is a pressure fuel line with compression fittings from the tank to the injectors. I would check the pressure rating of these qr couplings. you can get dry break couplings or qr(quick release) for brake lines but they are very expensive but are proper pressure fittings.
Im just a happy chappy!
Neil McClure

Postby turbo_billy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:04 pm

Factory manual states 50psi at idle. :thumbup:
turbo_billy

Postby SubSailor » Thu May 02, 2013 10:11 pm

For the high pressure side, the most economical dry-break fittings I've found so far are Jiffy-Tite.
They're good for 200 PSI, which is more than enough for the SP's fuel line pressures.
You'll no doubt need braided fuel line and 12mm banjo bolts with AN ends to match, but it will be super easy to remove the fuel tank afterwards.

Jiffy-Tite site:
http://motorsports.jiffy-tite.com/

Jiffy-Tite UK distributor:
Think Auto
292 Worton Road
Isleworth TW7 6EL United Kingdom
Phone: 011-44-020-8568-1172
SubSailor

Postby Quickshifter » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:15 pm

Jiffy tite all day long!

Personally, I won't have the plastic parts on my bike & I don't think they are rated for the pressure on the main fuel line. They may be ok for the return line but they are not for me.

I got a set of lines on eBay many moons ago that already had the Jiffy tite connectors installed. I fitted them in May last year but didn't realise at the time that they they were only quick disconnects and not the full on 'dry break' option that I really wanted.
Due to the enforced time off work, replacing these was added to the winter project list . A call and a trip to Think Automotive and I now have the correct parts needed.
I have gone for the barb type hose fitting and the parts numbers I am giving are for that. Think Automotive very kindly swaged the fittings on to some new hose on the return line for me. As an aside, they wont modify any hose you take into them, only their own which is understandable.
You can easily get the swaging done by any hydraulic hose company for just a few quid and shouldn't take more than 10 minutes at the most.

Part numbers for the fuel return line: JT22504P(plug); JT21504P(socket). Both are 1/4"
Part number for the main hose line is: JT21505P (socket), AN5. You will need to get the corresponding plug. I already had that as part of the eBay purchase, but it is a US part number so wont be relevant for me to list here.

Now to empty the tank & fit all the new bits!
Quickshifter

Postby The Stig » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:20 am

I can get motorsports quality quick release fuel line (& brake line) AN attachments that will work fine on a fuel line. They won't introduce any air when released. Not cheap, but beautiful quality.
The Stig

Next

Return to Modifications