Future modifications for the SP1

Want a Mod? Done a Mod? Post in here!

Moderator: snoopyjon

Future modifications for the SP1

Postby VTRdan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:46 pm

Right then gentlemen. Please bear with me as I'm not all that technical (or knowledgeable) regarding some of the subjects below. I'd like to hear your experiences and opinions on a few mods I've got planned on the SP.

First one, after my off a few weeks back, I lost one of my bar ends. I brought some new ones from: http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... prod/73779

I went with these because they're heavier and to my understanding they'd be better at counteracting vibration. Unfortunately, one of the weights bolted on perfectly and the other sticks out about 1cm too much and doesn't seat properly. I'm going to grind the bar end down to make it fit, but somebody said to me today this will impact badly on the steering of the bike. (having two bar end weights that weigh differently) It sounds plausible to me. Should I be worried?

Power Commander. I'm torn in half over this. I've heard that can cause hundreds of issues with starting and fuelling. I've also heard they transform the awkward-at-low-RPM character the SP has, improve power and fuel economy. If this is right, how come Mr Honda didn't just design the standard ECU to work this way? They did spend millions on the bike after all, so surely there's more to it than that. (I'm currently running standard pipes and air filters) How much should I be prepared to pay for one?

I'm going to do the PAIR modification this weekend. Has anybody noticed any real difference on the bike because of it or am I modding for the sake of taking a few pounds off her? (I'm going to leave the flapper mod for the moment, but has anybody who's done this noticed a definite improvement with the bike?)

I've been reading an exhaustive amount on exhaust choices today. (see what I did there?) And two names keep coming up - Morowaki and Sato. I've never, ever seen either of these pipes in the UK and a quick eBay search seems to confirm what I thought: These cans haven't made it to our shores?

I'm gonna head to TAG racing in Ashford to have the suspension set up professionally. People tell me this transforms the bike - but has anyone here had any experience with this?

And finally - I've read a lot about our digital speedos being wrong by as much as 11%. Is that up, down or both??

Sorry for the essay. :)

Dan
VTRdan

Re: Future modifications for the SP1

Postby Sppete » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:03 pm

VTRdan wrote:Right then gentlemen. Please bear with me as I'm not all that technical (or knowledgeable) regarding some of the subjects below. I'd like to hear your experiences and opinions on a few mods I've got planned on the SP.

First one, after my off a few weeks back, I lost one of my bar ends. I brought some new ones from: http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... prod/73779

I went with these because they're heavier and to my understanding they'd be better at counteracting vibration. Unfortunately, one of the weights bolted on perfectly and the other sticks out about 1cm too much and doesn't seat properly. I'm going to grind the bar end down to make it fit, but somebody said to me today this will impact badly on the steering of the bike. (having two bar end weights that weigh differently) It sounds plausible to me. Should I be worried?Well, I wear a large watch on my left wrist and so far I've not had any trouble going around round abouts or changing direction :D

Power Commander. I'm torn in half over this. I've heard that can cause hundreds of issues with starting and fuelling. I've also heard they transform the awkward-at-low-RPM character the SP has, improve power and fuel economy. If this is right, how come Mr Honda didn't just design the standard ECU to work this way? They did spend millions on the bike after all, so surely there's more to it than that. (I'm currently running standard pipes and air filters) How much should I be prepared to pay for one?
I think they are ace on the SP!. I firmly believe you need a custom map for your bike and most of the problems are home made from either bad installation or copying the wrong map . But as your bike is standard, ask yourself if you really need it? Are you having a problem which is lowering your enjoyment of the bike? Is it worth paying £3- £400 to get it sorted out? You're are welcome to a spin on mine if you want to feel what the end result is like

I'm going to do the PAIR modification this weekend. Has anybody noticed any real difference on the bike because of it or am I modding for the sake of taking a few pounds off her? (I'm going to leave the flapper mod for the moment, but has anybody who's done this noticed a definite improvement with the bike?)
It's not that that big a deal...have big Dump before you go out for you next ride or loose 1/2 a stone if you feel you need to ;)

I've been reading an exhaustive amount on exhaust choices today. (see what I did there?) And two names keep coming up - Morowaki and Sato. I've never, ever seen either of these pipes in the UK and a quick eBay search seems to confirm what I thought: These cans haven't made it to our shores?

Yes we saw what you did :shock: Please don't do it again :D Mines got SATOs on itand I think SteveP got some Moriwakis on his. I did find a dealer in the UK but it was cheeper for me to buy them from California direct and pay the shipping.It's getting harder to find good pipes for the SP these days so if you find some good one let us all know :thumbup:

I'm gonna head to TAG racing in Ashford to have the suspension set up professionally. People tell me this transforms the bike - but has anyone here had any experience with this?
Best mod you could do IMHO. If you've got some money to spend do it on a good set up. It will give you far more enjoyment, confidence and make the bike safer than any other mod :dance:

And finally - I've read a lot about our digital speedos being wrong by as much as 11%. Is that up, down or both??
Mine too, at 70 MPH it reads 76

Sorry for the essay. :)

Dan

Sorry for the short answers :D

Pete
Plagiarism- Getting in trouble for what somebody else has done
Sppete

Postby steve p » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:51 pm

cannot fault anything Pete said there, power commander is a must as is a custom map once you have the rest done. Suspension money is the best you can spend. PAIR and flapper mods are essential if you want to talk about your bike in wine bars :D ive done them and i drink lots of wine now :D .
steve p

Postby VTRdan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:08 pm

I haven't ridden it for any distance since putting it all back to standard, I'm just waiting on some paint from Mr Honda so I can get the panels done and refitted. I'm not sure how much difference putting the standard cans on it is going to make in terms of fuelling and rideability - other than I need a car's width to get through traffic now. :lol:

The only reason I'm tempted by a power commander is to sort out the fuel economy. I'm going to Assen later this year and whilst I've come to terms with the fact I'm not going to be able to walk when I get there, I didn't want to keep pulling over for fuel at every station. :think:

Aaaargh wine. Don't talk to me about wine! :lol:
VTRdan

Postby mattymc » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:03 pm

A PC definitely sorts out the fuel economy. Two trips abroad - the first averaged about 130 miles to a tank before we had to stop for me to fill up, and the second trip I never had the fuel light come on. I averaged 145 miles to a tank (light not on) and my mates bike was running out of fuel before mine and he was on the first trip too.

Thanks

Matt
Honda SP1
MTC Exhaust
PCIII
mattymc

Postby Sppete » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:46 pm

When I did my little jaunt across Europe I found the same.( SP2 with open pipes and a custom map) 130 miles of motorway cruising and start looking for a petrol station.
Must admit to a little sphincter tightening moment when I took my eyes off the trip meter and passed a station with 138 miles on the trip. :oops: Thank heavens for Garmin and their full list of European fuel stations is all I can say :P

Pete
Plagiarism- Getting in trouble for what somebody else has done
Sppete

Postby AlexRC51 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:58 pm

Hi Dan,
Get yourself a pair of carbon Termi's from the following,
http://www.motorcycle-exhausts.co.uk/Te ... -6198.html
Awesome quality and sound for only £639.00!!
Cheers,
Alex.
AlexRC51

Return to Modifications