SP1 K&N air filters - and going back to standard

Want a Mod? Done a Mod? Post in here!

Moderator: snoopyjon

SP1 K&N air filters - and going back to standard

Postby VTRdan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:58 pm

Right, we're aware that SP's don't like K&N air filters.

Recently I changed the air filters in my SP1 from K&N back to genuine Honda ones. One of the guys at work has also just brought an SP1 (It must be because the red and black colour scheme is so much better... :D) and is trying to do the same thing. His bike also has K&N air filters fitted, but he can't get the standard ones to fit. I went to his on the weekend and sure enough, even with the tank totally off and the air filters positioned on the fixing posts, the allen bolts don't line up with the holes (they're just a few mm too far towards the back of the airbox to screw in). He seems to think the Honda filters are incorrect but when we removed the rubber seals between the intake pipes and the airbox, the filter went into place perfectly, and the part numbers match up with the UK parts microfiche.

So now I'm left wondering - with standard filters are they meant to run without the seals? I wouldn't have thought so - because I didn't have to take them out when I changed from K&N back to standard. Did I do it wrong on mine? Or - do K&N supply different size seals for their filters?!

Dan :thumbup:
VTRdan

Re: SP1 K&N air filters - and going back to standard

Postby Sppete » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:25 pm

I had a simular problem with the SP2. I'm guessing they are going to be pretty much the same.
I used a little wd40 on the seals and wiggled the filters around in a circular motion untill the screw holes lined up.
Give it a go and see if it works for you. :P

Pete
Plagiarism- Getting in trouble for what somebody else has done
Sppete

Re: SP1 K&N air filters - and going back to standard

Postby snoopyjon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:51 am

My SP2 loves it's K&N's... But to be fair, it had them in when I bought it five years ago... Could be the fact the superior white colour scheme has the extra horsepower so doesn't have an issue ;-)

Having the red sponge in the middle of them (without a custom map) is required though, or it actually reduces the power (according to tests I've read up on).

When I serviced them a few weeks back I had to do the circular wiggle motion to get them to line up properly, so it would seem they just have to have a little bit of persuasion, regardless of whether they're standard or not.

Cheers,

Jon.
V-Twin for the win!!!!
snoopyjon
Site Admin

Return to Modifications