Turn One or Thorsten Airbox Filter Media

Want a Mod? Done a Mod? Post in here!

Moderator: snoopyjon

Turn One or Thorsten Airbox Filter Media

Postby SP2rider » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:13 pm

Need some replacement filter media for a T1 carbon airbox what do people use / recommend ???
SP2rider

Re: Turn One or Thorsten Airbox Filter Media

Postby steve p » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:07 pm

i used some filter media for cooker extractor hoods and pulled it apart to make it thinner!
steve p

Postby SP2rider » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:29 pm

Thanks Steve always a mine of SP information.

Will search eBay for something suitable I was unsure what grade of filter I needed ? Shame to triple the airbox size only for me to choke it up with something too restrictive.

As always appreciate the help and advice, your a gent
SP2rider

Postby steve p » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:33 pm

My pleasure mate, i have actually gone back to the standard airbox this time round but have removed the paper element in the OEM filters with assurances from Roger Ditchfield that this is the best way for a stage one tuned engine with re profiled cams. Those turnone boxes can be an arse to seal properly and if you dont make them airtight you loos the effect of the ram air at higher revs. The Moriwaki boxes are best but serious bucks for even a glass model. My turnone type box had two layers of very fine gauze with some filter media in the middle but the gauze was so fine that it looked almost solid so i made a new filter from 10mm mesh and thinned out cooker hood filter.
Im still using the high flow snorkel though even with the OEM box.
steve p

Postby Dmac » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:20 pm

steve p wrote:i used some filter media for cooker extractor hoods and pulled it apart to make it thinner!

Someone told me your bike smelled of chips, It all becomes clear :D (good tip Steve)
Last edited by Dmac on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmac

Postby VVTR » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:07 pm

SP2rider wrote:Need some replacement filter media for a T1 carbon airbox what do people use / recommend ???

pm your addy m8 and ill post you some of the stuff i use at work.
VVTR

Postby SP2rider » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:20 pm

Cheers m8 very kind offer but some else has come up with some and dropping it off at weekend, although your kind offer was very much appreciated.
SP2rider

Postby SP2rider » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:24 pm

steve p wrote:My pleasure mate, i have actually gone back to the standard airbox this time round but have removed the paper element in the OEM filters with assurances from Roger Ditchfield that this is the best way for a stage one tuned engine with re profiled cams. Those turnone boxes can be an arse to seal properly and if you dont make them airtight you loos the effect of the ram air at higher revs. The Moriwaki boxes are best but serious bucks for even a glass model. My turnone type box had two layers of very fine gauze with some filter media in the middle but the gauze was so fine that it looked almost solid so i made a new filter from 10mm mesh and thinned out cooker hood filter.
Im still using the high flow snorkel though even with the OEM box.

I was hoping to fit the T1 airbox as part of a weight saving project rather than a wish to increase BHP, but your comment on sealing problems worries me a bit as well as the fact you have gone back to stock, do you not recommend the T1 airbox ?
SP2rider

Postby steve p » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:58 am

My own experience is that the T1 box on a standard engine is a waste of time and that the claims of extra horse power are extravagant. Fitting that box for me was the start of a steady decline and having done that and being dissapointed i wrongly opted for HC pistons and then finally i spoke to a VTR tuning expert who rescued me with porting, gas flowing and re profiled cams (this was to make use of the extra air). I then re gained what i had lost with my previous mods. for the standard engine and even the mild stage one tune of my present engine the stock airbox and filters is perfect with the paper filter elements being removed only for the re profiled cams. To take advantage of the bigger air box the porting and cam work needs to be more extreme with increased service intervals, the restriction in these engines is getting the air passed the valves into the cylinders. What the T1 box does is give the perception of more power with increased induction noise especially if you remove the foam pads on the underside of the tank). Now i may have had seating issues with the box i used but i did get it sealed eventually, you may have an easier job, but it still did not deliver for me and this is backed up by the professional help i recieved. To be sure you need dyno before and after on the same setup to compare and you may have better results than i did but dont go selling that old airbox just yet ;)
steve p

Return to Modifications