Slipper Clutch

Want a Mod? Done a Mod? Post in here!

Moderator: snoopyjon

Slipper Clutch

Postby SP2rider » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:31 pm

Anybody use a slipper clutch on their bike and if so any useful comments on whether its worthwhile and easy to install etc....
SP2rider

Re: Slipper Clutch

Postby steve p » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:20 pm

pretty easy to install but i would say only really usefull on the track when dropping down for a hairpin etc. Thats the time when ive thought i could really do with one! But ive very rarely if ever needed one on the road, but then again ive never ridden with one so you may find it a life changing experience. You may also have to adjust your braking coordination as your engine braking will be reduced which is one thing that i love about riding the SP.
steve p

Postby Bobba » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:10 pm

I've not felt the need for one on the road. My mate's got a ZX6R with one fitted but I just found that without too much engine braking anyway I was almost trying to make it work????
I've only ever really had twins or singles anyway so I've just got used to it backing in a little if ridden harder and it scares my mates :thumbup: I'm no Chambon or Van Den Bosch but the long wheel base and awesome brakes do help.
caption-that-sp1slide.jpg
caption-that-sp1slide.jpg (24.77 KiB) Viewed 12302 times

Spend the money on suspension if you've not done so and its burning a hole in your pocket
Bobba

IF IN DOUBT, SKID AND SHOUT!!
Bobba

Postby David451 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:46 pm

Bobba wrote:I've not felt the need for one on the road. My mate's got a ZX6R with one fitted but I just found that without too much engine braking anyway I was almost trying to make it work????
I've only ever really had twins or singles anyway so I've just got used to it backing in a little if ridden harder and it scares my mates :thumbup: I'm no Chambon or Van Den Bosch but the long wheel base and awesome brakes do help.
caption-that-sp1slide.jpg

Spend the money on suspension if you've not done so and its burning a hole in your pocket

Fokin spend it on fuel and get away for a day, or even better fook off to silverston to the racing boys and do a course on riding, then decide if you need one.
David451

Postby neilzakleigh » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:11 pm

A lot of money for small benefit on the road, but maybe worthwhile for track use. I fitted a Sigma to my SP2, quite easy to do, but you would be better off spending the money on fork modification/ rear shock.
neilzakleigh

Postby SP2rider » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:07 pm

Cheers for the comments guys.

Already got a rear shock and fork upgrade thanks and agree thats the best place to start spending money. I have had the back lock up a few times as I also ride IL4's so I might consider one there not that expensive if you figure they will be worth £450-500 second when you sell on.
SP2rider

Postby N11 EXPRESS » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:21 pm

I've never once loked up the rear on the Sp just give it a good blip on the downshift
N11 EXPRESS

Postby snoopyjon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:19 pm

I thought the SP2 came with a slipper clutch as standard...?
V-Twin for the win!!!!
snoopyjon
Site Admin

Postby neilzakleigh » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:39 pm

Not as far as I know. There were some minor modifications made to the Sp2 clutch to improve the snatchy feel over the SP1 version. If you look at a parts fiche you will see that there are a couple of extra plates and one has been changed.
neilzakleigh

Postby SubSailor » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:47 am

The SP2 only had the addition of a judder spring and seat, plus a different friction plate with a larger I.D. for the judder spring.
The judder spring was added to smooth clutch engagement over the SP1. No slipper clutch there.
Since the clutch hub and basket are the same, it's no problem to add the judder spring, seat, and plate to an SP1 or remove them and revert to the SP1 layout.

The VTR1000SPW and Complete Racer both came with slipper clutches.
The Basic Racer was just stripped down SP1.
SubSailor

Next

Return to Modifications