Judder issue

Brakes related queries here...

Moderator: snoopyjon

Re: Judder issue

Postby markc663 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:47 pm

Road tested today with each side brake isolated one at a time. The right disc is the problem :( .

Has anyone changed a single disc before? I'm not a tight git and won't buy cheap shit for brakes but my way of looking at it is I only need one disc to fix the problem. Is there any hard fast rule that says they must be changed in pairs?

Thanks guys, Mark.
markc663

Postby markc663 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:53 pm

Peter319 wrote:If it is the discs, I sent a pair away for straightening a few years ago and they came back good. It took a while to find somewhere that did this but (if I remember correctly) it only cost £40 ish.

Peter, I've found a firm that says they can re true them, posted I think it was £40 something for the pair. Can you remember if the ones you had done lasted well? There are a so called expert on northwestclowns.net that that suggests it shouldn't be done. I myself can't see why not. I mean even if I was to send the warped one to be re trued and kept as a spare.
:)
markc663

Postby turbo_billy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:34 pm

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1754&start=10

Try contacting Neil as he has some standard discs for sale, £20 each :thumbup:
turbo_billy

Postby bushman » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:41 pm

markc663 wrote:Road tested today with each side brake isolated one at a time. The right disc is the problem :( .

Has anyone changed a single disc before? I'm not a tight git and won't buy cheap shit for brakes but my way of looking at it is I only need one disc to fix the problem. Is there any hard fast rule that says they must be changed in pairs?

Thanks guys, Mark.

No issue with replacing a single disc.
bushman

Postby markc663 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:47 pm

turbo_billy wrote:http://www.hondavtrsp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1754&start=10

Try contacting Neil as he has some standard discs for sale, £20 each :thumbup:

Already done so mate, they are rears.
markc663

Postby Peter319 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:44 pm

Peter, I've found a firm that says they can re true them, posted I think it was £40 something for the pair. Can you remember if the ones you had done lasted well? There are a so called expert on northwestclowns.net that that suggests it shouldn't be done. I myself can't see why not. I mean even if I was to send the warped one to be re trued and kept as a spare.
:)[/quote]

Mine were OK and lasted the 3 years until I sold the bike, they may well still be doing well.
I have heard conflicting stories so maybe I was just lucky. If you go for it agree that the person gives you a guarantee it'll be good or does it for nowt!
That's what I did ;)
Good luck whatever you decide.
Peter319

Postby wild01 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:22 pm

A note to you, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy cheap discs from China. I bought a pair a couple years back and while they looked the biz, after about 6 months use two of the floating rivets worked loose. Only so slightly but enough to cause massive vibration through front end under braking. Lucky it didnt shatter the disc but if gave me a massive moment.

As for your problem, it could be that the floating rivets have worked loose slightly. You could get the disc off and get the rivets pressed very slightly to firm it up but I would get an engineering firm to do that or bike shop.

Personally, for an SP1, not worth risking it, get yaself a new set, yes expensive but its an integral part of the safety system. I for one know how hard I use my brakes at times so not worth risking. I learnt the hard way and bought cheap. Never again.

Just fitting a new set of EBC X-series discs on mine. I was lucky and got a brand new set of Ebay for £160 delivered, BARGAIN! They are normally £135 each.
wild01

Postby markc663 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:53 pm

Fitted a pair of SP2 discs in the end. Problem solved, just in time for a wet weekend :angry-banghead: .

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and especially Kev for his help :clap: .
markc663

Previous

Return to Brakes