firestorm cans

Exhaust / Can related queries here...

Moderator: snoopyjon

Re: firestorm cans

Postby David451 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:30 pm

steve p wrote:If you can do it cheap enough have a go by all means but what you need to bare in mind are the setup costs and the re map for the Power Commander which are about £140 a time. Most after market slipons state you dont need a re map but anyone who has had a custom map made after fitting these will say there is normally a noticable improvement afterwards. When i first fitted my scorpion low levels i had a map done and the chap told me he ad taken a fair amount of fuel out so i would notice a fair increase in fuel economy which does help with the SP's awsome tank range :lol: And it doesn't take long at todays prices to re coup the re map costs. On the flip side if a new system causes weak running then that can cause machanical damage so its always worth having a custom map made. I think ive had 7 maps done in total, one each time ive added or changed something like exhaust, air box, snorkel, cylinder head work etc. and ive kept all the old maps just in case.
You can run the bikes without a custom map but you wouldn't again once you've had one done once.

Need to get a power commander though, so its definately out the window this year. Wife made me use the blackbird today the bitch, says we bought the SP for an investment and I'm running up the miles, so asking for 5-600 quid is never going to wash. Little does she know that if I get an insurance pay out for my work injuring me I'm buying another or an sp2 in white and castroling it.

Do you think race cans are too loud for road use.
David451

Postby steve p » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:36 pm

I have used baffle less exhausts for nearly 7 years now and haven't been pulled yet (touch wood), well at least not for noise with full sized end cans. But it is best to get end cans with removable baffles and have the bike mapped with the baffles out, then for MOT time put the baffles in. I need to make some baffles for my Moriwaki system, not a difficult task in my works workshop ;) complete with Brendan the welder ;) ;) as i dont want to compromise my friendly MOT mans position by asking him to pass an illeagal system.

I would like to add that much of the exhaust info is available on the Rogue RC51 .ORG web site which is very informative, and i recently spoke to Andy at Junction 33 dyno while he was doing my last map and who used to work for Quill (now Fuel) and he gave me some very usefull pointers into exhaust design for the big twin with the theory being slightly different from that of four cylinder bikes.
steve p

Postby David451 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:38 pm

steve p wrote:I have used baffle less exhausts for nearly 7 years now and haven't been pulled yet (touch wood), well at least not for noise with full sized end cans. But it is best to get end cans with removable baffles and have the bike mapped with the baffles out, then for MOT time put the baffles in. I need to make some baffles for my Moriwaki system, not a difficult task in my works workshop ;) complete with Brendan the welder ;) ;) as i dont want to compromise my friendly MOT mans position by asking him to pass an illeagal system.

I would like to add that much of the exhaust info is available on the Rogue RC51 .ORG web site which is very informative, and i recently spoke to Andy at Junction 33 dyno while he was doing my last map and who used to work for Quill (now Fuel) and he gave me some very usefull pointers into exhaust design for the big twin with the theory being slightly different from that of four cylinder bikes.

I think the MOT man would have a cheek failing anything if he passes one of them total shite Harley Davidsons, the fokin exhausts on them things are just a joke. I had a good look at one of them last year in callender and its like it was made in toy land, Harley Davidson should be ashamed of themselves.
David451

Postby steve p » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:41 am

about 4 years ago i booked in with my mate for an MOT and asked if he wanted the baffles in, he said yes to be safe and a full sized number plate. He had just finnished the test on mine when Mr VOSA turned up and asked him to re test my bike to show him. It passed again but the anal man picked at everything. It just makes it easier for the tester but i know what you mean about Harleys!
steve p

Postby David451 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:49 am

steve p wrote:I have used baffle less exhausts for nearly 7 years now and haven't been pulled yet (touch wood), well at least not for noise with full sized end cans. But it is best to get end cans with removable baffles and have the bike mapped with the baffles out, then for MOT time put the baffles in. I need to make some baffles for my Moriwaki system, not a difficult task in my works workshop ;) complete with Brendan the welder ;) ;) as i dont want to compromise my friendly MOT mans position by asking him to pass an illeagal system.

How much would you expect to pay for a set of second hand link pipes, I saw a set for a firestorm for 30 quid but expect the sp1 would be a bit more, or if not too expensive how much and where could I get new ones and then I could wait until I get a couple of cans s/hand.
David451

Previous

Return to Exhausts / Cans