the right exhaust

Exhaust / Can related queries here...

Moderator: snoopyjon

the right exhaust

Postby steve p » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:48 pm

Had my bike dyno'd yesterday by Andy at Junction 33 Dyno Center and was given some usefull pointers towards big V twin exhaust design as he used to work for Quill Exhausts. The bit that interests us the most is re packing the silencers, especially to increase the life of carbon sleeves. The perforated tube inside should first be wrapped in stainless steel wool then overwrapped with the packing fiber. The wire wool protects the packing from destruction by the strong pulses in a V twins exhaust and it was evident in my end cans that this was missing. With less than a thousand miles under my belt with them the sleeves need replacing as they show distinct burn rings around the inlet. I havs just ordered two carbon sleeves and packing from PJ engineering in Lincolnshire and 4m of 4" wide wire wool off ebay, total cost £115 :| . Its a double heads up really, firstly make sure you buy pucka exhausts from a reputable source and secondly how to pack and where to get the bits from.
hope this helps, wish i had read it 9 months ago :lol:
steve p

Re: the right exhaust

Postby steve p » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:36 pm

What a difference a week makes! I have done a deal with a mate and secured these:-
IMG_0939.jpg
IMG_0939.jpg (406.87 KiB) Viewed 7467 times
IMG_0938.jpg
IMG_0938.jpg (449.86 KiB) Viewed 7467 times
IMG-20110824-00115+(2).jpg
IMG-20110824-00115+(2).jpg (115.9 KiB) Viewed 7467 times

Pucka Moriwaki Zero Ti :geek: :geek: :geek: :dance: :dance: :dance:
steve p

Postby sparkysp2 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:34 pm

nice pipes mate hi mounts defo look the best... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Always keep it black side down and shiney side up....
sparkysp2

Postby Sppete » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:33 pm

WOW!
Now that's what I call a mate :thumbup:

Pete
Plagiarism- Getting in trouble for what somebody else has done
Sppete

Postby scottbeem » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:26 am

Thats all true, I am not a fan of carbon fibre exhaust mufflers either, in fact not a fan of cf anything. Over rated IMO. and damn expensive.
scottbeem

Postby steve p » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:45 am

scottbeem wrote:Thats all true, I am not a fan of carbon fibre exhaust mufflers either, in fact not a fan of cf anything. Over rated IMO. and damn expensive.

I think Carbon exhausts are good as long as they are put together correctly. Someone i know with an SP1 has had the same carbon sleeves on for several years on his Harris pipes and when he recently re packed them he was able to put the old sleeves back on, although for only £35 a side i would have used new ones myself. Carbon is also slightly more dent resistant than stainless or titanium but will obviously fail catastophically when it does go. My old scorpion stainless sleeves were well dented. Carbon also deadens the sound slightly better, stainless has more of a crackle but carbon is throatier. Lastly (but not leastly) its how it looks with all three materials lending themselves to the right bike. All down to personal choice 8-)
steve p

Return to Exhausts / Cans