back to OEM

Exhaust / Can related queries here...

Moderator: snoopyjon

back to OEM

Postby Oberon Kenobi » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:52 am

Hi guys,

I recently bought my SP1 with a power commander and high level micron cans and link pipes.

Sale included oem pipes and I am putting them on for a bit so i can take pillions and stave off tinitus a while longer.

Previous owner told me the map is good for both sets of exhausts - is this possible? He was a nice chap, I have no reason not to believe him but would like to double check - is there any danger of damaging anything by swapping the systems over and not doing anything with the PC3?

Or, is it entirely down to the map and therefore without knowing what map the bike has it is impossible to advise?!

Thanks in advance

Dave
Oberon Kenobi

Re: back to OEM

Postby Sppete » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:36 am

Hi Dave
a lot of after market cans are purely aesthetic and don't flow any different than std OEM ones, these ones will be fine with your pc3. An easy way to check it quite often the manufacturer will claim they "don't need remapping" as part of the sales blurb.
However, if you are not sure all you have to do to disable the pc3 is unplug it and it will revert the bike back to std map for the standard pipes. Personally I'd leave it plugged in and see how it runs. It's quite possible to have a map done for std pipes because there is some extra to be gained performance wise as the std Honda map has loads of safety built into it for all the different fuel quality and elevations it has to cover around the world.

Pete
Plagiarism- Getting in trouble for what somebody else has done
Sppete

Postby Dmac » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:59 pm

Hi Dave,
The tinitus is a real pain allright. Even with the standard cans, once you are at speed the wind noise is enough to do damage. I allways use earplugs to help prevent any more damage.

I would have to agree with Pete about the maps and cans.

The good news is if you choose to stay in standard spec, the PC3 and pipes are worth a couple of hundred quid :thumbup:
Dmac

Postby wild01 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:53 am

Here's a little tip, the SP's are pillion passenger torture devices! Do yourself a favour and take that pillion seat (postage stamp) and throw it in the bin! :lol:

My missus will never go on the back again after a gentle ride from Scarborough to Whitby, and I didn't even do over a ton honest!

Result! :lol: :lol:

As for the cans, I always ride with plugs in but more to reduce wind noise than the b.e.a.uiful sound from the blue flames. Let it sing mate, let it sing!
wild01

Postby Oberon Kenobi » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:12 am

Hey all, cheers for the replies, much appreciated advice!

RE the earplugs, Ive been using them, they def help cut out the worst of the wind noise.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the noise the microns make, but at 105db (geeky iphone app came in handy!) I was concerned about trackdays letting me on, and I thought itd be fun to take the odd pillion out for a blast, not intending long journies. Plan is to be able to chop and change, I'll hang on to both sets of pipes - someone told me the Microns would have cost £1k new?! they're the high level titanium ones.

Thanks for the advice re PC3 and mapping, seems to all be fine and great to be able to swap about - its a different bike with the standard pipes on it, dead quiet then a bit of a snarl when you open it up. Still getting used to it all of course!

I'm getting married in june and had my mother in law to be on the back last night, she was loving it!

Cheers
Dave
Oberon Kenobi

Postby wild01 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:52 pm

You had your mother in law on her back last night and she loved it!!! :shock:
Geez mate, your missus is understanding! :shhh: :lol:
wild01

Postby Sppete » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:54 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I hope you made her squeel :D