Exhaust fitting question

Exhaust / Can related queries here...

Moderator: snoopyjon

Exhaust fitting question

Postby mattymc » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:45 pm

Does anyone have a photo of their exhaust fitted to the bike with the fairings off? Does the collector box sit parallel to the engine? or does it twist up towards the rear downpipe? I've taken the whole system off to replace the gaskets but whoever had the whole system off last time didn't have the system fitted together properly. The part of the rear pipe that runs into the collector box was only fitted by 6 or 7mm, I'm assuming that the whole system should fit together up to all of the stops? If so, how can I achieve this?

Or is it a case of trial and error?

Thanks

Matt
Honda SP1
MTC Exhaust
PCIII
mattymc

Re: Exhaust fitting question

Postby VVTR » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:33 pm

not had mine off yet, but maybe the previous owner fitted the headers and tightened them up and worked backwards?

i think to get it lined up proper you'd be better tacking it on loose, get the headers and linkys to fit all the way in - then nip it up.
unless it's bent somehow? :?
VVTR

Postby mattymc » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:52 am

Guess I'll just figure it out as I go, thanks buddy.

Does anyone know the depth of the gaskets? Ordered some off of ebay and they seem to be bigger than the originals but don't want to use an old gasket to measure as I don't know if its the right size.

Thanks

Matt
Honda SP1
MTC Exhaust
PCIII
mattymc

Postby VVTR » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:21 am

do you mean the port gaskets or the header gaskets?
the port gaskets will crush down a bit so they will look deeper than the ones you take out :)
VVTR

Postby steve p » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:33 pm

you have to cut the soft gaskets down to size, had the same thing last month, it doesn't matter if they end up a bit shorter but if you dont cut they sit proud and fook the whole thing up. Like VVTR said some link pipes dont sit level if you fit them to correctly seated headers and the cans look all wonky from behind. In the past i have loosened all the joints, got the cans level and tightened things back towards the headers. If you dont do this but try to force the cans into line it can put strain on the header joints and these can loosen and start blowing, so its best to tighten them slightly apart if needed. Well thats what ive found anyway :D
steve p

Postby mattymc » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:29 pm

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated! I'll worry more about the exhausts once the engine is back together :D but want to get as much info as possible to make this all easier.

Thanks

Matt
Honda SP1
MTC Exhaust
PCIII
mattymc

Return to Exhausts / Cans