Handling

Suspension related queries here...

Moderator: snoopyjon

Handling

Postby David451 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:05 am

Been out on my SP1 a fair bit now and to be honest cant get to grips with the steering. Went out for a good run on Saturday, came back and then took my Blackbird out and the blackbird is so predictable.

I cant seem to get the SP to line up and hold the line on corners where the bird, much heavier, is so much easier and reasuring. What I mean exactly is that when I aproach a corner and I pick a point to enter, its not all that certain that its going to enter at that point, perhaps its the lighness that I have not got used to or the settings are wrong, but its certainly off putting. Its a bit like having the tyres brick hard, any movement, and I mean any, throws me off line.

Having jumped off the sp and onto the bird was quite strange and highlighted this issue, is this how they are guys?
David451

Re: Handling

Postby big stink » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:30 am

No this is not how they are. Normally they are pin point accurate and if you line up the corner, normally it will go where you want it to. The only problem i found with mine when i got it (7years ago) was that it would tend to drift out . I raised the rear by 4mm and that did make a difference. Ive had to start all over again after adding the ohlins front and back. Maybe you are just used to your Blackbird, i had to change my riding style just to ride my cbr600fv.
big stink

Postby David451 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:23 pm

big stink wrote:No this is not how they are. Normally they are pin point accurate and if you line up the corner, normally it will go where you want it to. The only problem i found with mine when i got it (7years ago) was that it would tend to drift out . I raised the rear by 4mm and that did make a difference. Ive had to start all over again after adding the ohlins front and back. Maybe you are just used to your Blackbird, i had to change my riding style just to ride my cbr600fv.

Must be me, too old riding too fast. Will give it a while longer, lets face it the better weather is coming but it aint an easy bike to ride.

I have an old cb1000 big one, and where I used to hate the stop start because it always wanted to fall over, this SP wants to stall, getting paranoid with the coont.
David451

Postby big stink » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:38 pm

They are bike that only make sense when ridden with gusto, that the way they were designed. Get it to a track and you will see what i mean.
big stink

Postby David451 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:32 am

big stink wrote:They are bike that only make sense when ridden with gusto, that the way they were designed. Get it to a track and you will see what i mean.

The bike has never liked pooting along and what you say might be the reason, wrong gear and its the throttle and torque thats throwing me off line on corners.

What rev range are you in for corners, I usually sit about the 4k with the throttle fixed as best as I can then wind on as I exit but the line is changing just as I enter and try to line up, and then it's changing through the corner as well and it's scaring me, sometimes running onto the line and others close to the weeds.

Sounds like I'm shit at riding but I'm comfortable on my blackbird.
David451

Postby Jayboy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:00 am

I know what you mean, I'm quite heavy - approx 15 Stone in normal clothes, so add a helmet and leathers and it's a good weight.
I found her sit too far back with too much rear bias. Have used the Performance Bikes spreadhseet as reference on most bikes I have owned with very good results, the SP is hard, but I have ironed out some of the tendancy for her to tank-slap now, and brought the feeling of weight further forward.
I used to feel nervous getting on the power in bends , but this has improved a lot. I have bought a 3mm spacer for a few quid off ebay - to go above the rear shock, just need to find time to fit it.
The good thing with the suspension components on the SP are that when you make an adjustment, it actaully does do something.
I do have a pdf of the PB setup if anyone wants to share it.
Jayboy

Postby David451 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:55 pm

Jayboy wrote:I know what you mean, I'm quite heavy - approx 15 Stone in normal clothes, so add a helmet and leathers and it's a good weight.
I found her sit too far back with too much rear bias. Have used the Performance Bikes spreadhseet as reference on most bikes I have owned with very good results, the SP is hard, but I have ironed out some of the tendancy for her to tank-slap now, and brought the feeling of weight further forward.
I used to feel nervous getting on the power in bends , but this has improved a lot. I have bought a 3mm spacer for a few quid off ebay - to go above the rear shock, just need to find time to fit it.
The good thing with the suspension components on the SP are that when you make an adjustment, it actaully does do something.
I do have a pdf of the PB setup if anyone wants to share it.

I know the guy set it up to suit how he rode before I got it, it went through Honda workshops for a full check-over before I bought it from them and I dont know if they set it back to standard or not.

In terms of tank slap mine doesnt even hint of it and the roads are shit out my way, touch wood that is.

In relation to setting it up I'm not sure what I'm looking for, does the PB pdf explain what its all about.
David451

Postby big stink » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:46 pm

I have a set up guide from a mag. I will have a look and photocopy / post it if you like?
big stink

Postby David451 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:56 pm

big stink wrote:I have a set up guide from a mag. I will have a look and photocopy / post it if you like?

That would be nice, I dont know where the settings are on mine at the minute.

Need to look for old duffer settings eh.
David451

Postby David451 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:14 pm

big stink wrote:I have a set up guide from a mag. I will have a look and photocopy / post it if you like?

I have gone out and checked where my settings are.

My forks are dropped through the tripples showing 5mm from the yoke to the top of the gold section of the fork.

Front preload is 1 line

Front rebound is 11 from soft

Front compression is 9 from soft

Rear compression is 9 from soft

Rear rebound is one half turn from soft

Rear spring preload is 4

Looks like the last guy has set it up with hard front suspension, and soft at the rear. I have nothing to measure from but from the marks on the fork legs he has been moving them about as well.

Perhaps this is why I cant get it to go around corners properly, I would appreciate if somebody could measure the height of their forks please.
David451

Next

Return to Suspension