Fork Seals

Suspension related queries here...

Moderator: snoopyjon

Fork Seals

Postby Sppete » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:05 pm

Bloody things :angry-banghead:
I've just blown my front right seal again :(
I wish I new what's going on. I can't find a fault with the stanchion, and I've changed the friction metals each time. New Honda seals and dust covers too. The last one has only lasted about 6-800 miles and now it's starting to weep again. I let the Honda dealer fit the last one hoping he could spot what the problem might be. Waste of money and time that was. :twisted: Anyone had a similar experience or care to make any guesses what might be the fault. I've just grabbed an electronic vernier from work and intend to measure everything in site come Saturday :twisted:
Got to get this sorted for North wales next month :shock:

Pete
Plagiarism- Getting in trouble for what somebody else has done
Sppete

Re: Fork Seals

Postby GOOSE_SP2 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:43 pm

Only had one go mate but the bloke at Revs in Halesowen told me they can just go...like punctures...but think your problem is excessive. Sorry i cant be more help Pete
GOOSE_SP2

Postby steve p » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:06 am

i would start by going back to the Honda dealer cus 6-800 miles is very poor, at least give them a chance. At the worst you can replace the stanchion but you can normally see any damage or the vernier caliper and a straight edge will show a problem.
good lick, want to see you in Wales :thumbup:
steve p

Postby Sppete » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:10 am

Cheers Steve/Goose.
I've just seen the forecast for this weekend and now I'm really hacked off....21C and sunny.
Oh well, If I can't be ridding it, I might as well be taking it apart in the sunshine I suppose :roll:
Got to get her sorted for Wales Steve. Even if it's just another set going in to get me through the weekend :shock: I've already checked with Honda for worst case scenario and there isn't a new stanchion to be had in the country at the moment :angry-banghead: So I'm hoping I can bodge something together if that's the case, or better yet, at £325-00 a pop maybe I wont need one at all :snooty:
Actually I'm hoping it's the outer tube. I had one go on an old Suzuki once and I managed to make a shim to increase the size of the friction metals. If this is simular I might be able to get away with something close. :think:

Pete
Sppete

Postby Sppete » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:28 am

Well it all looks good.
I've stripped and measured,checked run out and ecentricity :think:
I did find the tiniest little stone chip in the back of the stancion but I dont think it could wreck a seal that fast. I've done my best to polish it out and slung it all back together now lets see what happens :pray:
With a bit of luck it'll at least get me through to the Wale meet :D

Pete
Sppete

Postby 5parkyuk » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:39 am

hope it does m8ty ,sounds a real PITA
5parkyuk

Postby Bobba » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:21 pm

Sppete wrote:Well it all looks good.
I've stripped and measured,checked run out and ecentricity :think:
I did find the tiniest little stone chip in the back of the stancion but I dont think it could wreck a seal that fast. I've done my best to polish it out and slung it all back together now lets see what happens :pray:
With a bit of luck it'll at least get me through to the Wale meet :D

Pete

I'm sure I saw a set on eBay this weekend?
I'll check later and post up if I do
Bobba

IF IN DOUBT, SKID AND SHOUT!!
Bobba

Postby Dmac » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:54 pm

Hope these seals last a few years for you Pete, pity It's such a ball ache changing them :x
Dmac

Postby Sppete » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:18 pm

On the up side,at least I'm starting to get quite good at changing them now. :thumbup:
On the down side, it does get rather monotonus too.
Isn't it also supposed to be one of the first signs of madness? Repeating the same exorcise and expecting a different result :ugeek:

and on a techincal note for anyone changing there seals. Put the compression dampening on max and the rebound on minimum. It makes getting the locking bolt on soo much easier when compressing the spring :thumbup:
Sppete

Return to Suspension