removing rear shock

Suspension related queries here...

Moderator: snoopyjon

removing rear shock

Postby Oberon Kenobi » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:59 pm

Hi guys,

thinking of replacing my swing arm after I damaged it getting a puncture - whatever I went over stuck in the tyre and gouged out a good chunk by the rear shock. It's polished too and I wouldn't mind a normal one.

So while I'm at it I will try and tidy up the rear shock which is a little bit rusty. maybe just get the spring powder coated yellow and clean the rest up. Is it difficult or even possible to remove the spring?

Cheers in advance :thumbup:

Dave
Oberon Kenobi

Re: removing rear shock

Postby steve p » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:38 am

yes you can strip the springs down you just need to compress the spring safely then i think there are two plates at the end with slots in at right angles. once the spring is compressed i think they can be twisted to line up then come off so releasing the spring. i looked at doing mine but bought a Nitron sport shock as by all accounts there isnt a lot you can do to improve the OEM unit. Hyperpro do rear springs and are good quality. Three years ago i was quoted £200 for a rear spring and two fork springs but i opted different.
steve p

Postby Oberon Kenobi » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:54 am

Cheers Steve. I knew that would come up! I could replace it but to be honest I'm not at the limit if this setup yet! I'm happy with it. I could wait and do it all in one go, but thought I could just spruce up the spring for now. Maybe not worth the hassle. Thanks for the info!
Oberon Kenobi

Postby steve p » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:40 pm

just give it a good clean in situ
steve p

Return to Suspension