SP1 - New shock - Which ride height option?

Suspension related queries here...

Moderator: snoopyjon

SP1 - New shock - Which ride height option?

Postby Stan_SP1 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:00 pm

I'm considering getting a new shock but am not sure what ride height option to go for.

My forks have been 'Roger'd' and are pulled 5mm through the yokes.

One shock I am looking at has a variable ride height option for an extra £40 , or I could go for standard ride height, or +10mm ride height for no extra fee.

Now, £40 in the grand scheme of things isn't much, so just by typing out this post I think I've decided that the variable ride height would be the way to go, but I'd appreciate some input from you guys who have experimented with front and rear ride heights as to what your experiences are.

Thanks in advance.
Stan_SP1

Re: SP1 - New shock - Which ride height option?

Postby Sppete » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:52 am

Mine has variable height adjustment.
It'll give you a little more "tunability" for the best ride which suits you. My forks are dropped down a bit lower too (5mm). In the bigining I left the shock height as standard until I got used to the new ride but pretty soon realised when I started to push on a little I needed a little more height on the rear to help with the turn in and keep the weight a little more on the nose through the bends. You could argue I could just drop the bike through the forks a bit more but then I might get other problems when hard on the brakes or (not in my case) ground clearance.
Go for the extra adjustment, once it's set you might not ever play with it again, or it might even be good on the std setting but at least you have the option of changing it and you won't ever have that nagging thought in your mind of "should I have? :think: "
:thumbup:

Pete
Plagiarism- Getting in trouble for what somebody else has done
Sppete

Postby Neil McClure » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:21 am

I have not heard of extra ride height being offered as an option but normally in more expensive shocks it is variable. I got the Ohlins race shock with variable ride height but stuck in a 6mm spacer during the install as Ive always ran with a spacer in when it was standard and that is now my base point. spacers are easy to get/ make and probably easier to install than adjust your ride height so its not a major if you dont get a longer shock.
Im just a happy chappy!
Neil McClure

Postby Stan_SP1 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:21 am

Thanks Pete and Neil for you input. Nice to hear of some other experience in this area.

I'll probably order the shock this week and go with the variable ride height just so I have it! :D
Stan_SP1

Return to Suspension