reset!!!

Suspension related queries here...

Moderator: snoopyjon

reset!!!

Postby Edsaz » Thu May 02, 2013 5:34 pm

Ok so only had the bike a few days and was getting a bit more adventurous. My bike has had the forks pulled through around 7 mm, it had a 55 profile rear tyre fitted both in the interest of making it turn in quicker which it did. Now here is the thing, both these adjustments change the rake angle, the more upright the rake the less stable the bike becomes hence turning in easier. When I began to try and lean a bit more the bike became very nervous and when trying to push it over by gradually increasing speed on a roundabout and countersteering it just didn't want to go any more so I looked at the tyres and found the front had begun to marble and had clearly got hot about 1" in from the edge, not good !!! Too much rake doesn't work!!! Just put the forks back to level with the yokes, backed off the compression a bit and put rebound at factory setting, only been out for a brief 10 min ride and already it turns much better and is more fluid in a corner, leans further confidently and it shows on the tyres, the chicken strips have shrunk!!!
It seems from reading on here that a lot of people are pulling the forks through the yokes. I would be interested to know if those that have done so have also fitted a bigger profile rear tyre??? maybe the combination of both is just too much??
Edsaz

Re: reset!!!

Postby CROOKY » Fri May 03, 2013 3:49 pm

Didnt know the forks had been pulled through Ed,It also has a 2mm spacer under the shock mount on the rear to raise the rear.With the std rear tyre it really wanted to run wide unless you climbed off the side and really forced it round and the new tyre cured that for the speed i ride at.Glad that you are improving it for you.Enjoy the sunny weekend.
CROOKY

Re: reset!!!

Postby Edsaz » Fri May 03, 2013 8:14 pm

Hi mate
The forks should sit level with the top of the yokes as standard (i think) so i put them back there, feels a bit more planted, it rode well until i started getting used to it and leaning more then it got to a point and became unstable. i'm slowly playing and getting bits adjusted and sorted to suit me. got the Honda transfer for the pillion cover panel, looks great with it on. bled the front brakes through today too so they have fresh fluid. will get all the fluids done over the next few weeks.
Edsaz

Return to Suspension