Sp1 shock or SP2 shock?

Suspension related queries here...

Moderator: snoopyjon

Sp1 shock or SP2 shock?

Postby steelsey » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:44 pm

I happen to have both an SP2 shock and an SP1 shock... I've only ridden the SP1 with the original shock and not sure whether to run the SP2 shock instead. What do you think I should do? Thinking about running the SP2 shock with 4mm shim under the top mount. Has anyone tried the 2 shocks on an SP1?
steelsey

Re: Sp1 shock or SP2 shock?

Postby pbc0 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi steelsey.
I've just fitted an SP2 shock on my SP1
I had a Hyperpro spring on which I swapped over to the new shock So from a spring point of view its the same.
The new shock is definately better but I can't tell you if its related to the age of the old one or not.
Damping's much better & the back end feels more stable.
One thing I noticed while the springs were removed was the SP1 shock extends on its own when its been compressed where the SP2 shock does'nt.
My bikes an 01 model & its done 30K so I think it may be that the newer shocks just more like the old one used to be before the miles were put into it.
Its off an 04 model & I don't think its done many miles looking at the condition.
I'm going to strip the forks now to change the bushes because they're feeling a bit stiff now.
pbc0

Postby steelsey » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:20 pm

Funny enough I took my bike out the other day with the sp2 shock and a 4mm spacer under the mount to increase the ride height and it rode So much better! Same as you you said, much more control from the rear, plusher and stable! I serviced my forks and decreased the air gap to 125mm (I think) they too are working better as a result :-)
steelsey

Postby pbc0 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:28 pm

Sounds like we're living parallel lives here mate. :lol:
What weight of oil did you use in the forks?
pbc0

Postby steelsey » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:30 am

Hahah pretty sure it was 5wt, standard weight. I always like to keep the viscosity as light as possible to ensure stable damping characteristics.
steelsey

Postby pbc0 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:57 pm

Seems to be the norm with folk in the know.
Makes sense really cos I don't think anyones going to set their damping near the maximum anyway. screwed mine in nearly all the way once to see what it felt like, did'nt ride it but the forks felt like girders.
Anyway thanks for getting back, I'll be using the 5's.
pbc0

Return to Suspension