Clutch vibration help

Engine related queries here

Moderator: snoopyjon

Clutch vibration help

Postby phillcbx » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:36 pm

Hi All,
I have a lot of vibration on my clutch noticed after my last track day.
So decided to strip it down both bearings seem ok but will change them however at the back of the large clutch basket there are about 6 short springs fitted and 5 of them are loose so want to replace them.
My questions is are they replacable ? where can it get them from in the UK and finally how do I get the buggers out ?

Thanks for any help, also thinking about a slipper clutch if anyone has one for sale.
Thanks Phill UK
phillcbx

Re: Clutch vibration help

Postby smudge » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:34 pm

Hi mate. Pretty sure they are part of the clutch basket put in there on assembly. I had the same issue with clutch judder and slip in top gears even after fitting new clutch before I went. Thought it was gearbox but striped and assessed ok. If your clutch is a bit worn it will do it. I used ebc friction plates and trw steels but won't be doing that again. The trw plate are machined smooth and the friction plates after bedding in can't grip on the smooth surface enough to get the power down. Gotta a Honda kit and all ok. If you call Honda you can get the two judder springs for the sp2 which go into the basket first before the clutch. It fits even though they say they're not listing for the sp1 it's the same basket. If you get a Honda clutch it's different to non gen ones as the steel plates have divots in for grip and to hold oil to lube the friction plate. Also there are five of one type of friction plate and two of another. They look identical even have the same measurements but are made of a different material. The two odd ones go one on the inside and one on the outside with the other five and steel plates in between. Make sure you soak them in the same engine oil as the bike takes for min 4 hours before fitting. Hope that helps mate.
smudge

Re: Clutch vibration help

Postby phillcbx » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:23 pm

Hi All,
just an update,
after checking all the parts it seems that its a thrust bearing issue so will replace both bearings etc.
Springs are not replacable...and apparently there are meant to move over time so no worries
Thanks again
phillcbx

Return to Engine