Cylinder head cover gasket sealant

Engine related queries here

Moderator: snoopyjon

Cylinder head cover gasket sealant

Postby Wiffer » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:46 am

Hi guys, I am just about to check my valve clearances, I am pretty much set to remove the head covers I have new gaskets ready and Pro Seal Red Hi-Temp RTV Silicone Instant Gasket to add as the manual says just wondered if anyone had used this type of sealant and if it will do the job as I really don't want this to leak and have to strip everything down again?
Cheers
Wiffer

Re: Cylinder head cover gasket sealant

Postby Sppete » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:06 am

I've not used it but I don't see why it wouldn't work if thats what the manual recommends.
I've not had the head covers of the SP but I've had them off the storm plenty of times and as long as the surfaces and gaskets are clean I've never had a problem. I would suggest sticking to the correct torque with the head cover bolts. They are very easy to over tighten and snap on the Firestorm if you get a bit overzealous with the spanners

Pete
Plagiarism- Getting in trouble for what somebody else has done
Sppete

Postby Wiffer » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:09 am

sorry the manual doesn't specifically recommend that sealant that's just some I already have, I meant i'll be applying it as the manual says. sorry should have been clearer on that bit. After some research I'm not sure its the right stuff to use, it would be useful to know what other people have used, I spoke to a Honda dealer who quoted 30 quid for hondabond so I'm not going down that road!
Wiffer

Postby Sppete » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:53 pm

Ah, I see.
RTV sealant is what a bike mechanic I know uses on his. You should be fine :thumbup:

Here's a copy of a recent post of his

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today
Postby popkat » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:48 pm

Painted the front cam cover, it had a little flaking so thought I'd do it while it's off. What a pain getting the crap sealant off the cover side where the gasket/seal goes, if your just removing the cover for cct work or valve clearance then the gasket stays in place but to paint you need to remove it, I got most of the old sealer off and will use RTV on it when putting the gasket back on.. Cover looks nice in Tech cote high temp gloss black.
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Honda RC24, Suzuki gsx1230EFE, a couple of popup Katana's and some XJ600's
popkat

Plagiarism- Getting in trouble for what somebody else has done
Sppete

Postby Wiffer » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:52 pm

Ok, maybe i'll give it a whirl, thanks for replying
Wiffer

Return to Engine