Clutch plates

Engine related queries here

Moderator: snoopyjon

Clutch plates

Postby turbo_billy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:52 pm

Hi all, regarding the clutch plates on an SP1 engine, I have looked on the parts fische and can see 6 steel plates and 7 friction plates (which according to the parts list consist of 5 of one sort and 2 of another) Can someone confirm from experience that there are in fact 2 different types of friction plates? All the plates I can find on ebay that have any sort of description with them are saying that the kit contains 7 friction plates all the same?
I am after a set of both steel and friction to go into another engine I have aquired (so if anyone has them they want to part with...... ;) )
Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Tim
PS I haven`t gone down the route of pricing genuine Honda plates yet as I`m not feeling that brave........ :lol:
turbo_billy

Re: Clutch plates

Postby Sppete » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:04 am

I can confirm there are two different sets of plates (steels and Friction) in there

I dont know what sort of problem you are having Tim but I would take the plates out and inspect them, you might not need a full set or you might not need the steels. In my case I only needed two friction plates, all the rest were within spec. So I replaced them with originals for less than £20 :thumbup:

I don't know if you have had a problem with clutch judder when pulling away hard from a stand still, but if you have, you might want to look into upgrading your SP1 clutch to a SP2 spec if you are doing a complete clutch overhaul any way. :thumbup:

Pete
Plagiarism- Getting in trouble for what somebody else has done
Sppete

Postby turbo_billy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:58 pm

Cheers Pete...... :lol:
I definitely need a full set of both as on the engine I picked up from Neil the clutch basket is empty....... ;)
I have seen a set of TRW/Lucas steel plates on ebay but as I said earlier, the parts fische calls for 5 fibre of one part number and 2 fibre of another, but all the ones on ebay which give the sizes etc offer 7 off the same. Just need to confirm that there are 2 different types of fibre plates. (larger tangs/thicker plates whatever)
Cheers
Tim
turbo_billy

Postby Sppete » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:23 am

turbo_billy wrote:I definitely need a full set of both as on the engine I picked up from Neil the clutch basket is empty.......

:lol: :lol: :lol:
At least you know you need everything. That makes diagnosing so much easier :lol:

From what I've just read in the manual the 7 friction plates all the same size are for the SP1 and the one with the two different size friction plate are for the SP2. They go on either end of the basket one of which makes room for the anti judder springs.
I would check , to be sure but that's what it looks like to me :thumbup:
Good luck
Sppete

Postby turbo_billy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:19 pm

Just had a look at the manual myself Pete and what I can see is that the SP1 does have 5/2 plates. The first and last plate (disk A) are a larger I.D. according to the manual.
The SP2 has 5/1/1 plates (first plate on is an A followed by 5 and then a plate B to finish)
So why the larger I.D. for two of the plates?
I love it when things are simple............ :?
turbo_billy

Postby Sppete » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:48 am

turbo_billy wrote:So why the larger I.D. for two of the plates?

You got me on that. I can only guess it's where the friction plates come in contact with either end of the basket.

On the bright side you could always open up your existing SP and have a look and a measure. Once the right hand side fairing is off, it's a very simple job to take the clutch apart, you don't even have to replace a seal (rubber o-ring) and if you do the job with the bike on the side stand you don't even loose any oil.
Sppete

Postby Neil McClure » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:17 pm

For sale 1 set SP1 plates; removed from my old engine! only joking they are in my slipper clutch but I cant remember sorting them in order and my slipper slips a treat.
Im just a happy chappy!
Neil McClure

Postby turbo_billy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:55 pm

:lol: ......Cheers Neil.
turbo_billy

Postby Neil McClure » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:05 pm

Hi Tim sorry. I didnt have any that I could even have put in. Neil
Im just a happy chappy!
Neil McClure

Postby turbo_billy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:29 pm

No problem Neil, I`ll sort some as soon as I can get a definitive answer on the friction plates. :thumbup:
turbo_billy

Next

Return to Engine